Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fourth Weekend

The main event of the fourth of July was the blessing of Luke, but plenty of other festivities filled our time during the three-day weekend. It was a fun-filled holiday. We started out Saturday morning by going to a birthday party for Addi Andersen, and I got to spend some time with two of my long-time friends - Jamie & Julie.

I don't usually notice how short I am until I see pictures of myself and realize that I am always the shortest one of the bunch! Oh well. Sunday night we had a hot dog roast in my parents back yard, followed by fireworks in the front yard.

Ashlyn loved the fireworks, but they scared Trent to the point of tears and he went inside after just a few minutes. We had a family camp out that night and the kids thought it was the neatest thing to sleep in Grandpa's backyard. I thought it was just as neat to sleep inside!

We had a yummy breakfast outside the next morning - egg casserole, muffins, hash browns, grapes, and chocolate milk. The weather was perfect.

Monday afternoon we headed up to Ann & Joe's cabin for a potluck lunch. The scenery was beautiful, the food delicious, and the company delightful. Trent had a grand time swinging in the tire swing, exploring, and throwing pine cones in the stream.

Ashlyn loved it too.

After the cabin we drove a little further up Provo canyon to Wasatch State Park with the Eyres to do a little fishing...

Funny little story about that. Ashlyn was thrilled with her new pet fish that uncle Marty caught for her and she giggled and petted that fish and almost had it named until Marty wacked it over the head to kill it, which then sent her into hysterics and confusion. Why did uncle Marty kill it? Why can't we keep it in our bathtub? Not long after, another fish was caught, which Marty let Ashlyn reel in. To our shock and amusement, as soon as it came out of the water, Ashlyn shouted, "Kill it! Kill it!" The tables turned quickly. Brian grilled up two of the caught fish the next night and Ashlyn gobbled 'em up.

I had not been to Wasatch State Park since I was a kid and have no recollection of the place. It was beautiful and the kids had a blast. They didn't just get to fish, they threw rocks in the pond, played on the play ground, did summersaults,

did some war painting with mud,

took their pet fish on a walk,

and pushed their little brother into the pond.

Ashlyn was pretty pleased with herself, and luckily Trent didn't seem to mind either. It was such a fun weekend with family and friends and I was sad to see it end.

4 comments:

All About M.E.('s) said...

It was a great 4th weekend! Every time I think of ashlyn and the fish it makes me laugh.

Ashley Rae said...

Camping in the backyard is so much fun! We haven't done that for years...
Sounds like you have had a very eventful summer, thus far!

Princess said...

Oh my gosh Jamie, your pictures are seriously fabulous! I love them! Are you sure Ash isn't a Gemini? Lol I am a little disturbed by the dead fish on the leash though....

Monica Lifferth said...

Great photos Jame. I love the one where Trenters is getting out of the water and Ashlyn is walking away with a big grin. Priceless.