Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ruby's Inn Retreat

We got back last night from our annual trip to Southern Utah. It was such a great weekend. My only complaint is that it went by too fast. Now it is over and I have to wait a whole year to go back. I love my family. I feel truly blessed to have such a wonderful family and to have such great relationships with my aunts, uncles and cousins. When we get together I get to be with my greatest friends, and not everyone can say that - I am a lucky girl.

Our vacation began on Thursday. We left the Salt Lake valley around noon and stopped to briefly visit my Grandma Lifferth before heading down to Ruby's Inn. It was good to see grandma. She smiled when I held up Trent for her to see. Babies always seem to bring a smile to her face. The kids did remarkably well on the drive down - our new portable DVD player was a lifesaver for Ashlyn. And luckily, Trent slept most of the way.

On Friday we hiked to Calf Creek Falls. It was approximately six miles round trip. I love to hike. I told Brian that if I could, I would hike every day and I would be in great shape! The falls were beautiful - the perfect treat after hiking three miles in the hot sun.

I don't really know why, but I loved this tree.

Saturday was a busy but fun day. It began with a yummy family breakfast, then craft time for the kids, and then an easter egg hunt. Ashlyn did not really get into the egg hunt, which was okay because I did not really want her to have a big basket of candy. I think she got just the right amount.

Yep, Ashlyn still likes to put "treasures" down her shirt.

After the kids had their egg hunt, Noah and Kaila provided the adults with an egg hunt, complete with candy, Martinelli's, and cash! All the adults were lined up and Noah said, "Okay get ready." Then Kaila said, "In 5," and before she could go any further, my dad took off. What a cheater! Here is the video proof...



This premature take-off caused a series of trips and falls resulting in some scrapes and bruises. It was clear that adult egg hunts are slightly more aggressive than kid egg hunts. Oh, and Brian didn't get a stinkin' thing! He decided to be sneaky and go a different route than the rest of the group and he ended up empty handed.

Saturday night we had our traditional potluck dinner. The food was great. Our family has some pretty good cooks. Here is the lot of us...

Sunday we went to church in Henrieville which is the residence of my Aunt Sandy and Uncle Gary. I usually enjoy going to their ward, but this year my children prevented me from enjoying the Easter program in Sacrament meeting and the slide show in Sunday School. Such are the joys of parenthood! Oh well, Relief Society was nice.

After church we had a luncheon at the church and then most people headed home. Our family had previously decided to extend our stay into Monday and I am so glad we did! It was so great to go back to the hotel after church, take a nap and have a relaxing evening.

We were joined later that night by my Uncle Rob and cousin Robbie who drove up from Vegas to visit us. Brian also finally took Ashlyn swimming. She had been eying the pool all weekend and kept wanting to go into the "big bathtub". However, when the time finally came she was scared to death! It took quite a bit of coaxing to eventually get her to try out the hot tub. She had a great time there, but never would go into the pool.

Monday morning we went into Bryce Canyon. It was so beautiful. I can't ever get enough of Utah's national parks - they amaze me.

It was then time to pack-up and check-out. But we didn't head home quite yet. We did one last small hike to Mossy Cave. This was a great way to end our vacation.

A big thanks to Sandy and Gary for making this vacation possible! It was simply wonderful. Thanks to everyone else for the fun times and memories. And one last thank you to Sandy for watching Cooper. He has been recuperating all day from his weekend with Buster and Lola!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute pics!! Glad you guys had a great time :)

And I'm happy Buster, Lola and myself could wear Cooper out! My dogs did the same thing right after Coop left last night. They were POOPED!

Princess said...

Yeah! I am so glad you are home, but I am also glad you had fun! It looks like it was a great time and I absolutely LOVE the pictures! I am glad no one was seriously injured in the festivities as well! What happened to Belle's face? Love you guys!

Smiley Family said...

Oh yeah Stacey, I guess I did forget to mention that one incident. Ashlyn was outside with Brian while he played with his RC truck. He accidentally ran the truck into her legs and knocked her off her feet and flat onto her face! I had just gotten out of the shower and I could hear her screaming as they came down the hall. I opened the door to our room to find Brian holding her and her mouth was full of blood! Brian felt terrible and Ashlyn didn't let him forget it either. The rest of the weekend she kept saying, "Daddy's truck scary!" Poor girl.

rsheedy said...

So many wonderful pics! I love them all. I think we should do this again next week, who's with me? :)

The Lund Five said...

Yes it was a great time. I love the time we are able to spend at Ruby's Inn each year. So much fun! Too bad it is only once a year, I would love to go there more

Erica said...

Wow!!! Looks like blast! Wish I belonged to the Lifferth clan! You guys are always doing fun stuff! Great pics!

Zachary said...

Awesome post! I love the picture of Brian and Ashlyn on the trail with the sunglasses. It was SO good to see you guys! And you were so smart to stay an extra day. I am planning that next year.

Monica Lifferth said...

Good Summary Jame. Your pictures turned out great! I'll hopefully be getting my summary up soon.

Mark Nott said...

good times, I think next year we'll stay sunday night too. I hate the early sunday morning rush to pack and go, it's such an abrupt end to a peaceful weekend.

Heather said...

Looks like a great vacation. What a wonderful family! I love it! I am impressed at your hiking skills. I havent been on a hike since girls camp...

The Carter Family: said...

I love all the pictures! The retreat was so much fun and it was so much fun to hang out with your family! Brady said he will definitely remember his guns for next year-he can't believe he forgot them this year!! And your cupcakes were delicious-I will have to make them for Treyton's b-day! It was also fun playing games, I am definitely going to buy "Whoonu!!"

All About M.E.('s) said...

Your pictures make me want to pack up and go back! It was a FABULOUS vacation and next year can't come soon enough. I am so glad that you caught dad's head start on tape-that is hilarious.

THE BRADY BUNCH said...

Love the pics!! My favorite part is of the head start for the Easter hunt!! Great evidence!!!

Crazy Lifferths said...

I am sooo sad that we missed it! Your video evidence proves my theory that all Lifferths are cheaters! I swear, we can't play ANY game without someone cheating...hahaha! I guess I still love Uncle Bob though!

Gretch said...

SOOOO FUN!! I Totally wish I was there! I loved all the pictures! Those caves looked awesome as well as the waterfalls. It sounds like you made some great cupcakes too, I'll have to get the recipe. I will have to really try next year to make it down there. I'm glad you guys had so much fun and yes we do have a fabulous family!

I'm glad Brian is breathing easy now. And that is horrible about your accident. Hopefully the insurance company will come through and actually pay.

Craig Lifferth said...

It as an awesome weekend! Sweet post. I posted the other half of the Easter egg hunt for the adults. The part with the big wreck. Check it out.

The Wright's said...

Oh so fun! My only complaint was how FAST everything went! I LOVE visiting with everyone - we really are blessed!

The Simmons Family said...

I envy your large family. I don't have a single cousin :(. It looks like you had a fabulous time! There is nothing better than a vacation with the family!!

Mary said...

What a fabulous vacation. Everyone looks sunkissed. There is nothing like filling up with love and laughter from your family!!!

I curious about the egg hunt for adults! What a great idea. I mean really isn't that why we hide eggs for the kids anyway, so we can enjoy it!!

Hugs to all.

Stacy said...

I can't believe you went to Calf Creek. That means you were about 35 seconds from our house. I know i don't read all the blogs enough, but next time you're in the area, let me know!!