Thursday, March 13, 2008

Barnyard Bash

Ashlyn turned two on Tuesday. We celebrated her big day with a fun-filled, barnyard-themed birthday baa-sh!

These were the invitations, cute and simple. Several followed through with the request to come dressed in their barnyard best.

I decided to forgo games, and instead the kids made two crafts. I got a pattern for stick horses from my mom.

Check out Emma's coloring job! We were quite impressed with her coloring skills.

Then the kids made these cute sheep. I found the pattern for these online. They required a bit of prep work before the party, but they were sure fun to make and I think they turned out pretty great.

For food, we had pigs-in-a-blanket, BBQ chips, potato salad, baked beans, grapes, and soda pop.

And for dessert, these adorable pig cupcakes (another online find) and ice cream. I also found the recipe for the frosting online (seriously what would I do without the internet?) and I had several requests for the recipe, so here it is:

1 1/2 cups whipping cream - beat until quite thick and set aside
8 oz. cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine cream cheese, sugar, salt, and vanilla and beat well. I mixed it until I could no longer taste the sugar granules. Add food coloring if desired. Fold in cream. This is much lighter than butter cream frosting and it really is yummy!

Ashlyn was spoiled with presents. Thank you to everyone!

At the end of the night I asked Landon if he had fun at Ashlyn's party to which he replied, "Well...did we forget something?" Huh? Oh wait, the gift bags! I had forgotten! Thanks for the reminder buddy:)

It was a great day and a fun party. I really do love birthdays and birthday parties, for the young and old. Here a a few more pictures of our fun night:

19 comments:

Johansen Family said...

Seriously Jamie, you are amazing! I think we need to get together so maybe you could "rub" off on me. What an adorable idea and how fun for everyone. I hope Ashlyn had a wonderful birthday, I can't believe she is 2!

Princess said...

I had such a great time, and you always put on a good party! Thanks for the recipe, I might just make a bowl of it and nothing else!

Monica Lifferth said...

We had a wonderful time! Like I said, your simple really is not that simple. It was quite the party. My favorite part were the pigs. Great job!

The Lund Five said...

Thanks for the great party Jamie! It was sure a lot of fun. The food was good and that frosting was the best! I now have my hands full trying to plan Emma's Princess party. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

rsheedy said...

What fun! It looks like everyone had a great time. Your ideas are awesome; it looks like you had every detail covered! Amazing.

Erica said...

Looks absolutely awesome! Monica said those cupcakes were delicious. Especially the icing. Can't wait to try it! Maybe this weekend. Looks like a pretty fun party!

The Carter Family: said...

That looked super cute and tons of fun! It also looked like a lot of work! I am very impressed! Tell Ashlynn "Happy Birthday!!"

Jamie said...

Too fun, wish we were there! Cute pics, you guys are such a fun family. Tell Ash-bell we will get her present to her soon!

Becca said...

You should have come down to our farm. j/k The party looked like lots of fun. Tell Ashlynn happy birthday and good luck with a two year old!

Nathan and Esther said...

What a great party! Nice job on everything. Those pictures are super cute!

Hello! said...

How fun! The cowboy hats are a hoot! You are such a good mom!!

All About M.E.('s) said...

Yep, fun party. Everything about it was a hit!

Mary said...

How adorable is that. Happy Birthday Miss Ashlyn. SWAK! Jamie that had to be so fun putting together. I love birthday parties too. I wish you were MY MOM!! Enjoy the two's. SMILE. Brian looks remarkably well for having surgery just a few days ago! My love to all of you.

The Wright's said...

Oh how FUN!!! Happy Birthday Ashlyn. I can't believe she is two!!!

Zachary said...

That looks like it was such a fun party! Way to go!

The Simmons Family said...

Love birthday parties!! I'm impressed with your creativity and it looks like everyone had a great time!! Happy 2nd Birthday Ashlyn!!

Gretch said...

SO Stickin' cute!! Your so creative, everything from the idea of the barnyard theme, to the crafts, to the food. How fun! I love all the pictures too. I can't believe that Ashlyn is already 2! Crazy how time flies.

Charley's birthday is coming up in June, do you want to plan that one? :)

Gretch said...

Oh, Happy Birthday Ashlyn!! You cutie!

Sandi said...

It was fun to be around all the cousins and Ashlyn. What a great night!