Monday, March 3, 2008

An Excellent Idea!

This is from the February 2008 issue of Ladies Home Journal. Just so you know, I don't actually read Ladies Home Journal. This thought was passed out in our relief society and I am going to give it a go. I figure it goes right along with my 2008 word "grow"...

Quit Complaining

"Are you constantly telling friends what an oaf your husband/friend is or how poorly paid you are at work - yet seldom sharing good news? Mike Robbins, author of Focus on the Good Stuff, the Power of Appreciation says that such negativity has become pervasive in our culture, and that we are doing ourselves damage. Feeling more flawed and less satisfied as a result. But he claims there is a solution. Go on a complaint fast.

To start, Robbins recommends making a commitment not to complain about anything to anybody for a specific amount of time - say a day or two. He also suggests going on the fast with a family member or friend for accountability and support. The idea is not to achieve perfection, but to become aware of how often you complain. In time, you'll train yourself to focus on your life's more positive aspects, which has been proven to create a deeper sense of gratitude and overall happiness." -Courtney De Wet

So, I have decided to go on a "complaint fast" for two weeks. If any of you hear me complaining over the next two weeks, please call me on it. It will be interesting to see how much I catch myself wanting to complain about something. I don't consider myself to be a complainer, but maybe I am wrong. We shall see. It should be an interesting exercise.

8 comments:

The Lund Five said...

That is a great idea. I know that I complain sometimes. I may try to go on the "complain fast" also.

Sandi said...

What a good idea. I know that I complain so I will be trying this. Thanks, Jamie.

Jamie said...

You are amazing!!! And here I was complaining to you this morning. I too will join in after all my word, Gratitude, for sure goes with this & I haven't been very good at having it latley.

Princess said...

I complain all day at work everyday, I would fail miserably at this if I tried!

Monica Lifferth said...

I hate complainers. I know we all do it every once in awhile. Just so you know, I've never thought, "boy, Jamie complains a lot". So good luck on your fast, you'll do fine.

All About M.E.('s) said...

I have actually woken up on a couple of different mornings with the thought that I was going to make an honest attempt to not say a single negative thing about anyone. It was pretty amazing how many times I caught myself wanting to say something negative even if it was just about the idiot driving next to me. But, it is a good lesson in trying to be positive. While it is true that 'one bad apple can spoil the bunch' it is also true in the reverse-one good/positive person can also influence others to be better.

The Carter Family: said...

I think that is a great idea! I know that I complain but I do try and make a conscious effort to watch what I say in front of my kids. Growing up my parents never talked bad about anybody in front of us because they didn't want to influence our perception of people-I think that is a good rule to follow!

Nathan and Esther said...

I've done the same thing that Mindy has done, and it really is amazing how many time I caught myself starting to say something negative. It usually was just for the sake of conversation! Good luck with it, I know you will do great.