Thursday, March 6, 2008

Spiral Jetty

The Spiral Jetty is an earthwork created by sculptor Robert Smithson in 1970. It is located at the northeastern shore of the Great Salt Lake and is constructed of basalt rocks, forming a 1500-foot long and 15-foot wide coil. Through time, the black rocks have become encrusted with salt, giving the spiral a white brilliance.

At the time of its construction, the water level of the lake was extremely low due to a drought. Water levels returned to normal within a few years and the structure remained submerged for three decades. Over the years the spiral was, from time to time visible when water levels were low. However, it was not until 2004, after several years of drought, that the Spiral Jetty was once again completely exposed.

At that time of its reemergence, I was attending the University of Utah. Brian and I went with a group of students on a field trip to visit the structure. It took forever, it seemed, to get to the site but it was worth it. It was probably a once in a lifetime trip for me and it was fun to see the Spiral Jetty up close. We even walked along the top of the salt encrusted rock coil.

Well, it seems as though I have once again come upon a spiral jetty. Although this is a much, much cuter interpretation:

Seriously, could there be a cuter belly button?! I think not.



14 comments:

Sandi said...

It is wonderful that you have discovered such amazing artwork in your little piece of art.That is so cute how it matches.

Monica Lifferth said...

Maggie's button did the same thing. I thought it was so cool. Unfortunately it went away. Hopefully that cute thing sticks around.

Jamie said...

Too cute! I love babies skin, so sweet.
PS - no I am not trying to break any records, just being completely lazy and pretty much need to get a grip.

rsheedy said...

What a cool comparison! I like this post; it's both educational and heartwarming. :)

Heather said...

First I must say, how did you even know about the Sprial Jetty?? That is very impressive! Trent's button is darling!!

Princess said...

I love the history lesson as well as the cuteness of the baby belly! I want to zerbert it!

The Lund Five said...

Very cute comparison. I was wondering when you were going to post next. I love Trent's belly button. Very cute.

Emily said...

I love it! What a great post! I promise to post on my blog in the next couple days!

Zachary said...

That is one of the best comparisons that I have ever read about. Way to go! And be sure to thank Trent for being so cute.

The Carter Family: said...

That was cute! I was starting to wonder where you were going with the Spiral Jetty thing-it turned out great!!

Erica said...

Way cute! Outies are good too...innies scare me. Don't ask why...they just do! :o)

The Simmons Family said...

That is the cutest belly button indeed!! My neice has a smiley face for hers, but never seen a perfect swirl! :)

whitney said...

LOL! I love it! Fab-u-lous post!

whitney said...

Sorry...that was my deleted comment. My comment posted twice for some reason...just thought I'd let ya know.