Monday, July 23, 2012

Fun-Employed!

After 25 years of hard work and dedication, my mom called it quits!  We decided to surprise her as she walked out of Westbrook Elementary for the last time.  We were there with a banner, party hats, noise makers, balloons, flowers, and a sweet treat.  And we waited...
And waited...
 
  And waited...
  
Dad arrived on his scooter...
 
 And we waited some more...
 
Eventually we gave up and decided she wasn't going to come out any time soon.  So we marched ourselves indoors where it was nice and air-conditioned, and invaded her classroom.
 
 She was quite surprised to see us - mission accomplished.  We also gave flowers and a cupcake to her long-time friend/co-worker/fellow retiree, Pam Kidd.  They taught together for 22 years!
 
 
The last item of business for her was to read a story to the grandkids and then we helped haul out the last of her belongings to her car.
Since retiring, she hasn't slowed down.  In fact, I think she sped up!  I'm hoping that she will get some much needed and well deserved R&R really soon.  She has influenced a lot of kids over the years and I know she will be missed, but she is all ours now!  Congratulations Mom and good-bye room #113!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

So awesome! I love your mom - she is the cutest!

Sandi said...

What a great example your Mom is. She deserved all the surprises for her retirement. It doesn't surprise me that she hasn't slowed down yet and yes she does deserve some good R&R.

Monica Lifferth said...

I love reading your blog. If anything, keep it up just for me. ;) I'm all caught up. I love your graduation photos. I wish Maggs would have had a kindergarten graduation. Ben's teacher in Utah was good about that too. You cracked me up with your April Fools post. What a fun day! I made Maggie cry too. We still tease her about it. Anyway, love these posts, love your family. :)

Marilyn said...

What a wonderful way to end my last day! I love my family and it was an awesome to have you show up at school! It would have been sad to walk out alone, but you turned it into a real celebration! I love you and I'm so grateful for your thoughtfulness! It's great to be able to spend more time with my family:) Love you!

Princess said...

That is so great! What a fun idea and what a great accomplishment!