Friday, May 30, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad!

Today is my Dad’s Birthday. He is such an amazing man and he deserves to have a great day. I am currently watching six kids (two are my own) and so I don’t have a lot of time here. I just wanted to take a minute to tell a couple of things that I admire about my Dad:

He is the hardest worker I know. He always has a project, always.

He is a great story teller. I grew up listening to my dad tell stories of his childhood as we sat around the dinner table. And he has written several books which are among my most prized possessions.

He has the most beautiful backyard and he has done it all himself. He has never hired a landscaper; every inch has his personal fingerprints. His backyard is one of my favorite places in the world to be. It is so relaxing and peaceful. And his yard is unique. How many people do you know that have a tricycle track in their backyard? And he put in a fire pit before they became all the rage.

He is funny! My dad loves to tell a joke, sometimes the same one multiple times! And he is always quick with a good comeback.

He hates being called this, but he is a spiritual giant. My Dad loves the gospel, and he lives it. It doesn't matter where he is or who he is with, he is always true to his beliefs.

He is humble. He has never presumed to be better than another.

He loves being a grandpa and he is a cute grandpa. He laughs at all the funny little things they do. He flips them over his knee and does “ride a little pony”. And he does all that he can to make them happy, such as making his backyard a dream play land, going to Landon’s school for grandparents day, and leaving work to take Ben to preschool when Aaron & Monica couldn’t.

He is my friend. I know that I can completely count on and trust my Dad. I love to talk to him and get his advice on anything from when to transplant shrubs, to when to use I vs. me in a sentence.

He is friendly. You know those awkward moments when you see someone you know at the grocery store, someone who you maybe haven’t seen in a few years, someone who you don’t really know all that well, someone from high school, or someone you met through a mutual friend. Usually you avoid eye contact or hurry down a different isle (or is this just me?) Anyway, not my Dad. If he thinks he knows someone, he says hello. He also always makes it a point to say hello to everyone when we have family gatherings – even down to little Maya and Trent.

He loves my mom. He has always treated her with love and respect. I have never heard my Dad say something negative about my mom.

He can make one killer omelette. I never order omelettes from restaurants because I know they would never compare to my Dad’s.

Happy Birthday Dad!

I LOVE YOU!

15 comments:

Zachary said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE BOB!!!

Your dad is one of the greatest men I know. Everything you said about him is true. I have always been grateful that he is my uncle. A great example to everyone!

rsheedy said...

I love your dad too! I remember he used to do "newscasts" when I would come visit. I also remember being in the car, and he'd put a tape in the deck, and he had you guys convinced that when the red light came on the lady stopped singing b/c she was in the bathroom. And I remember going to Canada with you guys when we were in Montana, and he stopped the car on the border so everyone in the front seat was in America, and everyone in the back seat was in Canada. Good times! Your dad really rocks.

Mark Nott said...

yeah for uncle bob!

Melissa said...

Right on the money, Jamie. You honestly do have two of the best parents on earth. I remember those cold winter mornings when we used to wait for the bus inside your house and your dad would take such good care of us. He really does have a way of putting people right at ease. I love running into him anytime, anyplace. And he does have great stories. I can still remember a few, and it's been a long time since I've heard them. He's just fabulous. Let's hope he has the happiest of birthdays.

Jamie said...

Happy Birthday Bob!

He is a great guy/Dad. He would always offer us oatmeal while we were waiting for the bus. And yes his omlettes are amazing and so is anything that comes out of his garden. Hope he has a great birthday.

Erica said...

Happy Birthday, Bob! Your dad is always so sweet and welcoming to me and my family when we bombard on his home. I still remember the time he was doing the pony thing with Justy and she peed all over his leg. Good times. He's a sweet man, and I'm glad I've got to know him.

Sandi said...

I've been happy to come over and see your Dad. He is gracious and kind. I enjoy being around him. Happy Birthday, Bob

The Carter Family: said...

I love your dad too!! I just remember always loving to eat breakfast there when we stayed because his omelette's are the best! I was excited to get his recipe in the Lifferth cookbook, however, they just aren't as good as when he cooks them!! I also admire how well he treats your mom and how he always helps in the kitchen after all the meals! He is funny too-oh, and did I mention a cheater? (Remember the Adult Easter Egg Hunt?!!!)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your dad's backyard too!!!

I think your dad rocks too!! So have you found out the answer to my question about your dad's marrying abilities?? I mean, it's not going to happen anytime soon, but I would like to store it away in my vault.

Monica Lifferth said...

Great post Jame! Ditto to all, love you Bob!

The Lund Five said...

Happy Birthday Dad! We appreciate all that you do.

Becca said...

That was a great post about your dad. I always liked staying at your house growing up. Both of your parents are the best cooks and they passed it on to you daughters. I love when you bring food to the Ruby's Inn Retreat! Anyways Happy Birthday Uncle Bob.

whitney said...

Your dad really is one of the sweetest guys ever. He's just so darn nice...I think I said that about your mom too. Still true-they're just the nicest couple I know.

Johansen Family said...

Your so lucky! Count your blessings!

Momma Mimi said...

That really is sweet! He definitely deserves it! I am sure he is a great dad - but he is a great uncle too!