Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Surprise X 3 = Fun Times!

If you have looked at Mindy or Monica’s blogs, then you already know about my dad’s b-day surprise, but I still wanted to write about it.

Who doesn’t love a good surprise? Friday was a day of surprises – three to be exact. It was my dad’s birthday and we decided to surprise him by having a campout. We debated about where to go: Tanner’s Flat, Deer Creek, Antelope Island, to name a few. In the end we opted for the easier, safer, cheaper route – my parents’ backyard. It really is the perfect spot; plenty of trees, a pond, a fire pit, and the all important indoor plumbing!

The kids had so much fun "camping out" at grandpa and grandmom's house. They especially loved playing in the pond. Of course, they don't need the excuse of "camping" to get soaked - someone always manages to get wet when we are in grandpa's backyard. Us adults had a lot of fun too. We sat around the campfire until 12:30 am! It was a great mini-vacation, one that will definitely be repeated.

I guess the campout was actually the second surprise. The first surprise came to all of us when we arrived at my parents’ home. Jake had just gotten home from his graduation vacation to Hawaii (lucky kid spent two weeks sight-seeing, surfing, and eating fresh pineapple) and surprised the whole family with gifts! He really put a lot of thought into each gift. What a guy! My personal favorite was Trent’s cabana boy outfit:

But the big surprise of the night was my dad’s brand new motor scooter! We tried to fool him with some socks and ties –which is what he had requested for his birthday- and then Aaron snuck it up behind him and honked the horn. He was shocked, to say the least! He has been talking about getting one for years. It was a dream come true for him. He kept saying, “I don’t believe it! I don’t believe it!” He even pinched himself several times. It was so fun to see his face; it was a look of pure joy. It was by far one of the most fun/exciting gifts I have ever given.

Can you say "Dumb & Dumber"?!

8 comments:

Zachary said...

What a great present you guys got for your Dad! I bet he is really excited about it.

And the last photo with Aaron and Jake...CLASSIC!

The Simmons Family said...

One word back at you... Jealous!! I think it is so fantastic that you have such an amazingly close and LARGE family! Don't get me wrong, my fam is close, but with the WHOLE family together there is only 5 of us total (including kids).

I love the camping in the backyard idea, the scooter you got your pops is great and Trent looks adorable in his new hawaiin getups!

What FUN!!!

The Wright's said...

What a great idea! I love the camping idea - so much easier, don't you thihk? Sounded like fun!

The Carter Family: said...

I think the scooter is AWESOME!! He will have to bring it down to the retreat next year along w/ everybody else-so the gang can all go riding!! The camping idea IS gREAT!!!

All About M.E.('s) said...

Cute post. It was a fun day!!

Amber said...

Backyard campouts, what a great idea!

Jamie said...

What a fun birthday your Dad had! He deserves it!!! And Uncle Jake . . . what a guy.

Melissa said...

I saw your dad outside with his scooter. Looked like quite the party. Awesome.