Monday, April 28, 2008

Like A Good Neighbor?

Just saying the word "insurance" can send chills up your spine. Brian and I rarely discuss insurance without using the terms "highway robbery" and "necessary evil". I think everyone has an insurance horror story, we have had too many. Here is another one to add to our list:

You may remember my crash, boom, bang post. After the insurance agent hung up on Bri, we were left wondering whether or not our new car seats were going to be paid for. We were then told by the other driver's insurance that we needed documentation stating the car seats did indeed need to be replaced. No problem. We will simply contact the officer who was at the scene of the accident since he had told me, Brian, and the other driver that the seats must be replaced "for our children's safety". However, when Brian contacted the officer, he told Brian that he could not write or sign a letter stating the seats needed to be replaced because they did not want to be held liable. WHAT the heck?! He told us to replace the seats, we did as we were told, but now he won't say he told us to do it? What kind of system is this? Like a good neighbor? I think not.
Brian then did some research on our old car seats and found a list from the manufacturer of reasons why and when a car seat should be replaced. Yep, you guessed it, our car seats did not meet any of the "replacement criteria". To further this truth, our neighbor who is certified with fire department on car seat safety came over to have a look. He said our old seats were perfectly safe, no reason at all to have them replaced.
Well crap, so we apparently spent $268 for no reason, and there was no way of getting signed documentation. However, if you know my husband at all then you know that he does not back down. He is not afraid to speak his mind and put up a fight, so fight he did. Today we received a check in the mail. Happy Day!

Even though we finally got what we deserved, I hate that you have to put up such a stink to get anywhere with those people. Oh well, I should just be glad that in the end $268 didn't come out of our pockets. Oh, and does anyone need a car seat? We have two "perfectly safe" ones in our garage.

10 comments:

Erica said...

Yay for Brian, and yay for money! :o)

Princess said...

I will take the car seats and put them in my car with fake babies. Then I can drive in the carpool lane! We do need to hang out soon! Let's plan it!

Amber said...

I hate that everything having to do with getting payment from an insurance company takes a miracle, it's ridiculous! Congrats on getting paid!

Melissa said...

Thank heavens Brian wouldn't back down. I hate, hate dealing with this sort of thing.

rsheedy said...

What a joke. Good for Brian, in being persistent. It's ridiculous the hoops we have to jump through, just to get the stuff we've been paying for all along.

The Simmons Family said...

Way to go Brian! You can't back down with insurance companies... you have to be persistant. I'm glad you got your check in the end. I'd hold on to those car seats... you never know if baby 3 or 4 are on their way in the near future! :)

Andrea
Don't forget to say an extra prayer for Owen tonight.. he has surgery in the mornin.

Zachary said...

Hurray! Hurray! I am glad you got your money! Way to go!

The Carter Family: said...

That's awesome you got your money! When it comes to fighting w/ people, I leave that up to my husband. I can't do it, but he does a great job of it and doesn't back down either! Thank goodness for husbands!!

All About M.E.('s) said...

Finally! I'm glad that you guys finally got your money. Did the lady who hit you end up paying? Or insurance? Insurance is a crock!

HelloBridgett said...

That really stinks. As someone who works in insurance, I'm sorry.(different company and not in claims, luckily) I'm glad you got your money back.