Sunday, April 20, 2008

They Say It's Your Birthday...


HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!


I have the best mom in the world and today is her birthday. I could write pages and pages about how much I love and admire her and why she is the greatest woman I know. Of course if I did this it would probably embarrass her. But if you can't embarrass someone on their birthday then when can you? However, my time is limited, so here are just a few facts about this great woman:

  • She is the most patient person I know. Her level of patience drives me crazy at times. In any given situation, my mom can stay calm and collect. She doesn't experience road rage, she doesn't get frustrated when six kids are asking "grandma" for chocolate milk, she doesn't become impatient waiting in long lines at the grocery store (of course she doesn't shop at Walmart!), and most impressively, she takes care of 25+ six-year-olds every day and has still managed to keep her sanity.
  • She is selfless. My mom would do anything for her family, and she does A LOT! I don't think my mom knows that the word "no" exists. If you ask her to do something, you can count on her saying "yes".
  • She is the best cook! She makes the best homemade rolls which we all benefit from each Sunday. Which brings up the great point that she still makes Sunday dinner for her family every week despite the fact that we have grown from 7 to 18, and counting! (She is not making dinner tonight though. We decided that a much needed break was deserved for her special day. I just hope it turns out well, we have a lot to live up to.)
  • She is a very supportive wife. My dad has had many callings that have required a lot of time away from home and I can honestly say that I never heard my mom complain about him being away so much.
  • She has a contagious laugh. This is particularly challenging in the middle of sacrament meeting! Once she gets started, I follow, and there is no stopping us!
  • She is a hard worker (this is an understatement). Another word that does not exist for my mom is the word "lazy". She is always working on something, anything. She is also always the last teacher to leave at her school. The janitors usually have to kick her out of the building so they can do their job. I am not kidding.

My mom is a wonderful example to me. My wish is to be more like her. I could go on and on about all her wonderful qualities, but I need to go make some lasagnas!
I love you Mom.



From Brian:

Happy Birthday, you have always been accepting of me, even though you have "seen" more of me than you want to.... ;-)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Jamie, you have the BEST mother, my dear sister-in-law. I have always admired your mother's patience and hard work, too. What also amazes me is the way she produces well balanced meals...ALL the time!

Marilyn, we love you! Happy Birthday!

Aunt Sandy

The Carter Family: said...

Happy Birthday Marilyn! I agree with EVERYTHING that Jamie has said! You are amazing in everything that you do! I have ALWAYS admired you including the delicious meals you cook and the wonderful family that you raised! It is always fun to visit with you and you are fun to be around! Hopefully you have a special day and you can enjoy being waited on by your family!

Sandi said...

Happy Birthday, Marilyn. I know that what Jamie says is true just by the way you get together so much. Have a wonderful day!

Melissa said...

I absolutely could not agree more. Your mother is one of my favorite people. Growing up, I always thought she was probably one of the kindest people on the planet. But now that I've gone out and seen a bit more of the world, I'm utterly, positively convinced of that fact. Please pass along my birthday greetings. What a gem.

Princess said...

Happy Birthday Marilyn! I apologize for whatever it was that you "saw" of Brian, it couldn't have been pretty!

Erica said...

Happy Birthday, Marilyn! I do agree that you have the best mom ever! She is always so sweet to me whenever I come around. Heck, your whole family is. I hope your dinner turned out yummy. I'm sure it did. Can't wait to see all of you on Saturday!

The Simmons Family said...

Happy Birthday Momma Lifferth! Jamie..that was a beautiful birthday tribute!! I hope that our kids look up to us as we do to our moms.

Andrea

whitney said...

Your mom really is one of the sweetest ladies I know. Definitely a mom I'd like to be like!

Zachary said...

Happy Birthday to one of the greatest Aunts ever! I have to echo what Jamie said about her patience. I have NO idea how she does it. A wonderful example to everyone around her.

Monica Lifferth said...

Hope you had a great day! We love you lots!

The Lund Five said...

Happy Birthday Mom! We all love you and hope you had a great birthday!

whitney said...

Don't worry, Jamie. You soooo didn't hurt my feelings. While I absolutely love the name Ezra, I know a number of people who've said it took some getting used to (especially w/the old man feel of it-lol). You didn't offend me a bit! You're right, you don't hear it that often, which is one of the reasons I like it so much!

All About M.E.('s) said...

AMEN X 10!

Nathan and Esther said...

You do have a great mom, I've always liker her!