Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Dog Food vs. Ice Cream

About seven months ago I posted about Ashlyn's dog food fetish. At the time, I hoped that she was just going through a phase, but it seems to have only gotten worse. We can't keep Cooper's dog dish inside because she would be fighting Cooper for his food every time we fed him. We also have to keep the container with the dog food in the closet on a shelf high beyond her grabby little hands.

When we get into the closet to get Cooper's food out to feed him, Ashlyn comes running from wherever she is in the house. As soon as she hears the gentle rattle, it is like music to her ears. She never runs faster than she does when she is racing to get some dog food, for it is a race against time! She has to get to the container before we get the lid back on! As she is running for this delicacy, she is saying, "Can I have some dog food?" "I love dog food!" "Because it's delicious!" She is always a very happy girl when she manages to obtain a piece. Usually though, she walks away empty-handed asking,"Why come?" when I have told her that she can not have any dog food. She simply does not understand why we keep this delicious treat from her.



When I talked before about this crazy obsession, I said that if I were to put a PB&J next to a bowl of dog food she would go for the dog food. Well tonight we decided to test that theory, only with a bowl of ice cream. I mean what kid in their right mind would choose a bowl of dog food over a bowl of ice cream? I even let Ashlyn pick out the ice cream flavor yesterday at the grocery store, she chose Dreyer's Take the Cake - yellow cake flavor with frosting and sprinkles. Sounds like every kid's dream, right?

I know it is hard to believe, but she did in fact choose the dog food! She even pushed the ice cream away! She was a little confused at first as to why we had put a bowl of dog food in front of her. After all, we usually keep this treat from her. Once she realized that we were in fact letting her have some dog food, she was so happy. F.Y.I., we only let her have about three pieces before we took it away which resulted in a flood of tears. Poor girl! Only after we took away the dog food did she try the ice cream.

Here is the video proof:

21 comments:

Erica said...

Holy Cow. That was funny. Wonder what it is that she likes about dog food? I've never tasted it, but i'm sure it's not THAT good. That ice cream looked amazing, and i'm wondering why they don't sell that here. I'm so getting some next time I go out of town. Great post. P.S. Thanks for showing me Google Reader...I love it.

Sandi said...

Brian used to put peanut butter in a spoon and when we would ask him about it he said he put it in his drawer in case he got hungry. I can't wait to tell Brian.

Jamie said...

Ash-Belle is 1 of the funniest girls I know. Dog food? Maybe you should try making her puppy chow (aka Muddy Buddies) like Mindy use make. Addi just puts the dos food in the water and feeds it to the rabbit.

Princess said...

This has to be one of my most favorite things about her! What GREAT pictures and the look of complete joy on her face is hilarious! I love it!

All About M.E.('s) said...

I have been anxiously awaiting this post. That girl of yours makes me laugh. Funny funny funny post! Thanks for the laughs.

The Lund Five said...

Ash Belle you need to get your prioritis straight. C'mon, dog food over ice cream. That is crazy! That look on her face is priceless. Thanks for the laugh!

Anonymous said...

That has got to be the funniest thing I have seen in a LONG time!!! She cracks me up!! Look at her face and how excited she is that you are letting her have dog food. I can't stop laughing. I think I am going to have to put a post about it today on my blog...

The Simmons Family said...

Thanks for the much needed laugh. Ashlyn is adorable and hey... it's got good protein.. let the girl eat it up!

Monica Lifferth said...

That is seriously my laugh for the week. She is the funniest little girl on the planet. Ha!

Crazy Lifferths said...

Are you kidding me?! That was the funniest thing I have seen in a LONG time! I LOVE IT! She came running, like it was staged, and I know it wasn't. Oh, I got a good laugh out of that. That ice cream sounds delish.

Becca said...

You need to send that in to America's Funniest Videos. It would win hands down. So So funny. I bet she will die when she gets older. You need to show that to her dates!

Crazy Lifferths said...

Oh the second video is hilarious too! I can't believe she really pushed ice cream away...hilarious. And then does she just eat it like a snack or something? Oh man what a cutie!

Amber said...

That is hilarious! I can't believe she pushed the ice cream away...I bet she'll be excited to see this when she gets older!

rsheedy said...

That is seriously the funniest thing EVER! You have to wonder how long she would really like dog food though, if it wasn't such a 'forbidden' item. You know how it goes...you always want what you can't have! What a super-cute goof troop! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is so priceless. Yes - you definitely need to send this into America's Funniest Home Videos... Along with a letter, outlining the history.

Thanks for video taping it - and her smiles with the bowl are pure joy.

Ashley Rae said...

Hey Jamie!! This is Ashley Carrell. I found your blog through a series of other blogs. Your family looks great!

I seriously laughed so hard when I saw this video of Ashlyn. Completely priceless. I loved it so much- I showed my mom (she's the one who posted above me- "silence of the clams"). Funny, funny.

I hope everything is going well for you!

Heather said...

Girl. That is the craziest thing I have ever heard! Great post...one day she is going to be mortified!

Zachary said...

That is hilarious. I think Rachel is right though...because it is "forbidden", that does increase the desire to have it more. But not to worry about eating dog food...did you know that dog food goes under stricter regulations and tests than most human foods?

Craig Lifferth said...

I loved the video! Cat food isn't that bad. Maybe she should try that next.

Gretch said...

LOL! LOL! LOL! That is hilarious! I can't believe that she choose the dog food over ice cream! I am so glad you caught that on tape! And yes, for sure send it in to AFV! So FUNNY!

It was WONDERFUL to see you! Thanks for letting me see your cute house too. Your family is so great!

Momma Mimi said...

I actually ate dog food when I lived in! Montana, Its not to bad!!