Sunday, February 3, 2008

WAW!

A typo? Nope. WAW - What A Week! It was a marathon. A babysitting marathon that is. Mindy had her orientation for her new employment all week which meant I had Madi and Maya all week. And then on Tuesday and Thursday, Ben and Maggie were thrown into the mix. I was a little nervous about having six kids under the age of four in my sole care. Six to one is a scary ratio but I did it, I survived, and I had fun!

I knew if I were to maintain my sanity, there needed to be organization and structure. So, our days were set up into times...story time, singing time, quiet time, getting-to-know-you time (we sat in a circle and talked about favorite things: colors, foods, animals, etc.), snack time, play time....you get the idea. Being so structured was not only great for myself, but the kids as well. They had fun with all the different activities and it kept them from fighting over toys.

Here are some pics of my marathon:

Movie time! This kept them quiet while I fixed lunch.

I just couldn't help myself. On Wednesday I dressed Madi and Ashlyn in matching outfits, hairbows and all. I had too much fun. They also thought it was pretty neat to be dressed alike, even though they don't look so thrilled in the picture.

Craft time! One of the favorite activities for the kids was on Thursday when we made marshmallow snowmen. This is the best way to make a snowman, you stay warm and it's edible! We also made fruit loop necklaces. Crafts you can eat, what could be more fun?!

Dance time! I don't think there are many things in life more entertaining then watching kids shake their groove thang! It was hilarious.

Milk and cookie time! Ben, Madi, and Ashlyn helped me make no-bakes and then we sat down for some good old milk and cookies.

Maya and Trent were so good all week. Maya's smile can turn any bad mood around! After holding them both so much, it was perfectly clear that Trent outweighs Maya. And you should see the difference in their thighs! Trent has rolls and rolls, and Maya is so petite.

Ashlyn looks exactly how I felt by the end of the week, exhausted! However, I really do feel lucky to live so close to my nieces and nephews. And I feel blessed to be able to see them and watch them so often. They are all great kids with such different and funny personalities. When they are all grown up one day, I will look back with fondness at these memorable times I was able to spend with them.

My busy week collided into a busy weekend. Friday night we had a movie night at my parents home. We ate bagel dogs and watched an old Disney movie, The Rescuers.

Saturday morning was spent watching coverage of President Hinckley's life and funeral. What a wonderful man and what an emotional roller coaster. I have not had such a good cry in a long time.

Saturday night we had two of my best friends, Sandy and Emily, over for a pizza party. I have known these two since middle school and I am so glad that we are still such good friends. Emily was accompanied by her husband, Dave, and her three adorable kids, Audrey, Jackie and Zander. Sandy brought along her man, Ben, who brought photos to share with us of his recent adventures to Ecuador and Peru. He went to Machu Pichu, which for some time has been on my list of dream vacations. And the photos were beautiful! It made me want to go there even more.

Sunday we went to the Smiley's for dinner to welcome Stacey home from her vacation to Hawaii, yet another dream vacation. It just isn't fair that people all around me are going on these wonderful vacation and all I can do is try to live vicariously through them by looking at their stinkin' photos. I am in definite need of a vacation soon. Stacey was nice enough to bring us all flip flops from Hawaii. Now all we need is for this snow to melt and the sun to come out so we can wear them.

So that ends my crazy but fun week. There is really nothing I would rather be busy with than activities with family and friends. However, a couple of slow days now and then are nice too ;)

15 comments:

The Lund Five said...

It was nice to see a new post from you. What a busy week you had with all those kids. It did give me some ideas though. The marshmellow snowmen were cute and Emma wanted to make them right away. I told her we would have to buy the stuff for them. Thanks for organizing movie night! It will be fun doing that again. The bagel dogs were delicious!

Princess said...

Ok, could you be anymore cool? I LOVE the way you structured all that stuff! I just think your the best thing since white bread!

The Wright's said...

WOW!! You are brave! And so organized. If only I could be more like you... :-)

Monica Lifferth said...

Hey Jamie. I was too tired to even think of thanking you last night, but seriously thank you. I love that I can feel completely comfortable when they are with you. YOu are a wonderful aunt and they both love you tons.

Erica said...

What cute pictures! I know I couldn't do it...You must have a lot of patience and anxiety pills? *lol* That's what helps me is the pills! Cute pictures though...

rsheedy said...

Seriously, you are the coolest person I know. How you managed to keep your sanity is a mystery to me! I absolutely love and adore my nieces and nephews, and wish I could spend more time with them. But I get worn out after twenty minutes of babysitting! It's exhausting! Your activities looked like a lot of fun, and I'm so glad you took pictures. Usually when I'm watching the kids, I'm too wasted to remember the camera, let alone deal with it! You are amazing!

Anonymous said...

I would go insane with that many youngsters for a week. I would be having nap time all the time for em.

Nathan and Esther said...

I think WAW could also stand for 'what a woman'! way to go Jamie! Those activities are a great idea, and it looks like all the kids had a blast! Are you available for hire?

Jamie said...

So fun, so crazy! You are amazing!!! I seriously aspire to be more like you. You guys should come for a vacation soon.

All About M.E.('s) said...

You are pretty amazing! I can't thank you enough for agreeing to such a task. I hate having to go back to work, but it does make it easier knowing that my children are with you. Thank you!!

Crazy Lifferths said...

You are seriously AMAZING. You sound like the world's best babysitter!! Thanks for the great ideas too!

The Carter Family: said...

WAW could also stand for What A Whirlwind! It made me exhausted just looking at all those pictures-and I agree w/ Esther..What A Woman! I'm glad you posted all those fun ideas-my kids love marshmallows so we will definitely be making some of those! Hopefully you will get some sleep-soon!!!

The Simmons Family said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous week. Nothing is more fun than having all the nieces and nephews over for crafts and fun. I have 10 under the age of 10 and it's hectic but rewarding to watch them all. Sounds like you kept them busy and entertained!

whitney said...

W.O.W. Seriously! I'm very, very impressed with not only your patience but organizational skills. Way to go! It's always more fun to watch neices and nephews than anyone else, isn't it?!

THE BRADY BUNCH said...

Very impressed - as everyone else is too!! That's great that you were so organized and kept them entertained - we'll be making the cute valentine snowmen too!!