Friday, February 8, 2008

Too Smart

Every now and then it is hard for me to believe Ashlyn will be two next month. The time has gone so fast and it seems like she should still be a baby. But nonetheless, she is growing up fast. Too fast. She has become too smart. She is such a great little talker. It amazes me how well she can communicate and comprehend. Here is a prime example...

I took the kids to the mall today because I really wanted to get out of the house. Side note, I ran into Aunt Gretchen and Mary. It was fun to see them. Anyway, there is a small play area at the mall-which is the main reason we ventured there-where Ashlyn could run around and play. I let Ashlyn play for awhile and when it came time to leave, I told her we were going home to have a treat. Yes, I did bribe her a little so as to avoid possible crying. So sue me. My tactic worked. We left the indoor play ground without a fight, and as soon as we pulled into the garage Ashlyn asked for a peep-she has become quite fond of them. I obliged. I kind of had to since I did promise her a treat. She was very gracious and said, "Thank you mama." She downed the first one and then very kindly asked for another. I gave her a second peep. Again she downed the sugar coated goodness. And once again she kindly asked for another to which I stated that she could not have another peep. "Why?" "Because you have already had two and that is a lot." And this is where her 23-month-old wisdom got me. "But I wanna have three." Pretty smart.

11 comments:

Princess said...

I am ALWAYS amazed at how smart she is! It really blows my mind. I love how independent she is and how she knows what she wants. Like the other day I was there and she demanded I sit on her bear and then said "now sing Barney". How could I not oblige? Cracks me up!

The Lund Five said...

I love hearing all of your Ashlyn stories. She is very funny. I get a kick out of all the funny things that she says. I am looking forward to Reagan having more conversation. Right now she just babbles.

Zachary said...

So did you give her a third one?

Smiley Family said...

Even though I was impressed with her reasoning and comprehension, I did not give her a third peep.

All About M.E.('s) said...

Ha ha-she is so funny AND smart. Gotta love that girl!

Mary said...

Oh what an age of awakening! The sweetness makes up for the frustrating mess! I have one of those myself. I never figured out the appropriate fix for the messiness. I have a friend who has what she calls "a challenging child". Her mantra is that this child makes her a better parent every day. Laughter heals anything.

whitney said...

What a little smartie pants she is! I love this age, despite how challenging it is (Ezra's 27 months). As for the bribing-sometimes you just do what works, know-it-all mommies be darned!

Nathan and Esther said...

lololol! she's a child who knows what she wants!

Heather said...

What a cutie! We are looking forward to Wednesday, are you still planning on it?

The Carter Family: said...

That is super cute, I am impressed you were able to hold your guns. I always have to go with "pick your battles" so it depends on the battle and if I am willing to fight for it or if I am willing to let it go!!

The Simmons Family said...

You are much stronger than I am... I'm a sucker when they ask for "one more".