Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Home grown produce!

As I mentioned in our very first post, Brian and I attempted our first garden this year. And we did struggle with our little garden. Our zucchini plant produced pumkins (with the exception of one softball sized round zucchini?), our cucumbers died, and our poor tomatoes struggled. I am reminded of a poem my dad once wrote:

Poor struggling garden,
pity of the plot,
there are many things
you are not.

Of course my dad wrote this poem long before he became the master gardener that he is today. But this poem describes our first garden very well! However, I am happy to report that Brian harvested our carrots tonight and just look at these beauties!

Fresh, uncooked carrots are Brian's favorite vegetable and he was very excited that his efforts finally paid off. I should also mention that our lemon cucumbers and bell peppers did produce as well. So, our first attempt at gardening was definitely a learning experience. Hopefully next year will be a better success!

8 comments:

Jamie said...

Very impressive!!! I would like for Aaron and I to figure out a garden in AZ. I think you have to plant in February.?!

rsheedy said...

That's so cool! I've wanted to do a little garden for a few years now, but I have nowhere to grow one...sad state of affairs.

The Carter Family: said...

I love gardens! Of course I don't have one-I just use my in-laws' garden-but maybe next year we will plant one! That was quite a bit of carrots-they look delicious! Raw carrots are the best-too bad I can't say the same for cooked carrots!

Anonymous said...

Great job on those carrots; I am impressed! I am sure your garden will get better each year. Brian ought to try those carrots with some fresh tomatoes.

Bob

Princess said...

They are beautiful! Raw carrots give me heartburn for some reason (I know, I am weird) but I do love them cooked! And just curious, but what are lemon cucumbers?

All About M.E.('s) said...

Nice carrots. You should pickle them!

Gretch said...

WOW, very impressive! We also had our first garden this year. It was a lot of fun to see the "fruits" of our labor.

Our carrots didn't come close to your beauties! Great job!

Sandi said...

We didn't plant carrots but our tomatoes, bell peppers, and cucumbers were really good. By the way anonymous, Brian does not like tomatoes. I on the other hand will try the carrots with tomatoes. I love them both.