Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Attitude

Something to think about:

"We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms-to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances..."
-Victor Frankl (survivor of WWII concentration camp)


We will never have control over everything that happens in our lives. There is no way of avoiding the trials that are thrown our way. The only thing we can always control is our attitude. This is something I need to work on. Children are a great example of this. Whether Ashlyn is sick, hurt, or doesn't get her way, her positive attitude always shines through. She may get angry for a moment, but it is fleeting, and she is back to happy girl that I love so much! Right now Ashlyn has a bad cold with a fever which comes and goes, but she still smiles, plays and sings. I don't know about you, but when I am sick I do not smile, play, and sing.

10 comments:

rsheedy said...

Oh! That makes me want to give her a hug. What a sweetheart.

Jamie said...

I can a test to attitude, as can many others I'm sure, life can, and in my case always, be crazy. It is all how you take it, it will either make you or break you. I choose the first.

Addi has had a fever and has not felt good all night from her shots. It breaks my heart when thy don't feel good!

The Carter Family: said...

That is an awesome quote! And I am always trying to work on my attitude every day-some days more than others. I grew up in a great family and I do not ever remember my mom yelling at us-so whenever I start to yell at my kids, I try to think of her and act like her because I want them to have the same memories of me!

Zachary said...

Awesome entry Cuz! Attitude is very important no matter what our circumstances. I hope Ashlyn gets feeling better!

All About M.E.('s) said...

Oh, poor Ashlyn. I hope she is feeling better. I agree with Ruth, that is a great quote. It puts things in perspective.

The Simmons Family said...

That quote was a good one! When I was told of my little man's heart defect, I was told to terminate the pregnancy, and try again later. I cried for days. One day I realized that this guy's only fighting chance is me and how I react to the news. I have never been so certain and positive in my decision to give him the best surgeons, cardiologists and neonatologists at his side the minute he is delivered. They will care for him and no matter the outcome, he will know that he is loved and I will know that I have been forever blessed!!

Hello! said...

AMEN! Keeping a positive attitude has sometimes been the only thing to get me through.

Monica Lifferth said...

Good post Jame. I have always believed that attitude is everything. I'm sorry Ash Belle got "the cold" that you knew she would get on Sunday. Especially when she had the same thing L had in his mouth a few minutes earlier.

Close families mean shared colds. Give her a hug for me.

Princess said...

This is something I always try and tell people. There are always going to be bad things, hurt feelings, and things we don't understand. When we learn that we cannot control others or situations, only our reactions to them I think it frees us.

Gretch said...

Hey Jamie, Thanks for the very uplifting post! It is always a good reminder to make sure our attitude is in check.
Give little Ashlyn a squeeze for us, we hope she gets better soon. Having a sick child is always rough on the mom too, so you take it easy.