Saturday, November 5, 2011

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

I love a good surprise. As a kid, I never attempted a sneak peak at Christmas presents. I don't even like to make requests for Christmas or birthdays because I really don't want any clue about what gifts I'll receive.

We had our ultrasound yesterday. For the first time in four pregnancies, we actually debated whether or not to find out the gender. I really didn't want to know. Brian didn't want to know. We have loved waiting until the delivery to know what we are having. For us, it adds to the excitement and makes the birth all that more special.

So, why would we want to know?

It's my fault really. The reason I questioned finding out this time is because of a Christmas present I want to give. And that is all I'm going to say about that. I don't want to give anything away here. Like I said, I like a good surprise. Not just receiving them, but giving them as well.

In the end, we had decided not to find out. But, just in case we changed our minds, we told the ultrasound tech to put the gender picture in a sealed envelope. I wasn't even worried about being tempted to open it, unless it ended up being necessary for the Christmas gift.

The ultra sound went well. Everything looked normal and the baby is healthy and active. I feel very lucky to have had four healthy pregnancies. When the tech got to the gender part of the ultrasound, she told us to turn our heads, which we did without any thought to sneak a peak.

Once the ultrasound was done, the tech left the room and told us that once the DVD was finished we could go to the front desk for the photos and paperwork. We waited for a couple minutes, all the while talking about whether I was carrying a girl or a boy. The DVD ejected, we grabbed it, and headed to the front desk.

The tech had just finished cutting our photos and handed them to me, but told me that she needed a couple more minutes to finish the paper work. I took the photos and we sat down. I flipped through the pics, admiring how cute my baby looked in black and white and when I got to the last picture I froze. Then I started to laugh. Brian looked at me suspiciously and said, "what?" And then the tech realized her mistake, "Oh no! I gave you the gender photo!!"

Yep. We know. But, we aren't happy about knowing.

And, we aren't telling. So don't ask.

10 comments:

Marilyn said...

WHAT?!!! You're not telling? Shame on you.
Mom

Jamie said...

Seriously . . . I am with your mom - SHAME ON YOU! You know surpises kill me. That is too funny. Maybe something super cute could be made before hand if you would tell!

Heather said...

Rude.

The Wright's said...

Hmmm.. I'm going with a boy. Why else would you pick up on the mistake so quick? I bet that tech felt pre-tty dumb!

Funny story. Sorry for the disappointment. But at least you can work on your Christmas present! ;)

Smiley Family said...

Well Jen, that is a good theory. However, since I have never found out, I might not have known what to look for. The reason I knew right away is because it was spelled out on the pic :o)

Crazy Lifferths said...

Jamie!! You crazy girl not telling us! Good for you! But I am dying to know! And I was going to tell Jen that a lot of times they say BOY or GIRL with an arrow to the "area"....so I can't decide which way I think one way or another. How about you forward me the picture and I compare to mine and see if I can tell on my own ;) Haha! I am almost more curious though about what Christmas gift would involve the gender of your unborn child!

Lindsay said...

Oh gees - you guys are die hards! I could never!!! Ha Ha!

Princess said...

I hate surprises and honestly I am really suprised my brother can keep this a secret. He and I used to try and find the Christmas presents together every year while Stephanie would yell and then tell on us :) Now I am DYING to know!

Ashley Rae said...

Haha!! Good for you guys!!

All About M.E.('s) said...

No comment!! Eh, I'd probably do the same thing.