Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mr. Susie Homemaker

We unfortunately, and much to my chagrin, did not plant a garden this year. But, don't you worry, plans are already in the works for next year, with plenty of tomato plants for bottling tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, and soup! The timing for a garden just didn't work out this year with moving in and having a baby. However, lucky for us, we were blessed to harvest a few fruits, thanks to the previous owners. Cherries, strawberries, raspberries and grapes to be exact (and one mysterious zucchini plant). The cherries, strawberries and raspberries were few in number, but the grapes were plentiful. So plentiful in fact that our poor vine kept falling over, and Brian threatened to, "just get rid of it," a time or two. But, he didn't. And it's a good thing he didn't, because he (with very little help from me) did something quite delicious with those lovely grapes.

First came the harvesting when they had reached their "peak."

This job was taken seriously. Very seriously. We mean business people!

The grapes smelled delicious, and tasted just as good. I could have eaten the whole bowl if it wasn't for those annoying seeds.

Next came a very thorough washing,

followed by chopping, squeezing, boiling, and straining.

Have you ever actually had grape juice that wasn't from a box, bottle, or reconstituted from frozen concentrate? I'm talkin' fresh people! So, so, so good! Again, I could have gulped a gallon of the stuff if it wasn't destined for another path. And if it didn't have such an off-putting color.

And this is where I came in (besides the afore mentioned consumption) to make a brief appearance in the process. I gathered the jars, lids, sugar, pectin, & canner, and then coached Brian from the sidelines.

And after some mixing and more boiling, this was the end result:

Wondering how we got purple grape jelly from that brownish-green juice? Through the magic and wonder of food coloring! (Thanks for the suggestion Mindy!) It made for much prettier jelly. And yes, we have tried it. And nobody got sick. Success! It is, quite frankly, the best grape jelly I have ever had.

We will be transplanting our now "beloved" grape vine to a more permanent and secure location, and crossing our fingers that it survives so that we can repeat the process next year.

Good job Susie!...I mean Brian!

And one more photo, just because he is so. gosh. darn. cute.


12 comments:

All About M.E.('s) said...

You guys have nice grapes. And, yes, I agree, it is good jelly.
BTW-your kids are cute. They are giving Gus a run for his money. It's possible that he (meaning Gus) is not the cutest Smiley. I'm going to go and make a pros and cons list right now. I'll get back to you.

Princess said...

Love that story! I love that Trenter's was so serious about his job, lol. Hopefully I will get to try some of that jelly when I come home? Baby Luke IS so gosh darn cute and getting so big!!! Love you guys! Who is Gus? :)

Ashley Rae said...

Oh man, those grapes look delicious.... mmmm. I would love to plant a grape vine. I think we need to get most of our weeds under control before we do that, however. :)

That jam also looks incredible! Way to go.

Aw... baby Luke is DARLING!

Lindsay said...

Wow! That is amazing! Look at all that yummy grape jelly! Awesome!

rsheedy said...

The jelly looks yummy! And your kids are adorable. I don't like the photo of Luke though...he's looking so big already and I haven't even met him yet! He sure is a cutie. :)

The Wright's said...

I LOVE fresh grape jelly AND juice. We had a plethora of beautiful grapes in our Sandy house. I've tried to replicate that vine in the houses we've owned since then, but with no luck. May the grape people smile down on you as you replant your grape vine!

Monica Lifferth said...

Who cares about the grape jelly! I'm more interested in that random picture at the end. Who is that!? How can he be that big!? ADORABLE! Can't wait to kiss those cheeks.

And good job on the jelly. :)

whitney said...

Wow, I'm impressed! Love the idea of the food coloring...I'm sure it makes it much more palatable to for small mouths ;)

The Lund Five said...

The grape jelly was good! The picture of Luke at the end is adorable!!

Zachary said...

Fresh Grape Juice is THE BEST!! Wow...that is awesome that you guys (mainly Brian), were able to do that. Good luck with next year's crop!

Mary said...

Yummy! Grape jelly!The joys of harvest. Luke looks like a miniature of your Dad! How adorable. Them are some beautiful kids and grapes, in that order. Love you all.

Erica said...

Wow! I'm very impressed. That stuff looks DELISH! Great job, Brian! :o) Now send me a jar.