Saturday, March 28, 2009

Spring Break Part 2: Ruby's Inn

After leaving Las Vegas, we headed to Ruby's Inn (located just outside of Bryce Canyon) for the annual Lifferth family retreat - always guaranteed to be a good time. We look forward to this event every year. It is one of the few places big enough to accommodate the Lifferth clan. But, I wonder...if the ENTIRE Lifferth family actually came, would it be big enough?

For some reason, I just don't seem to break out my camera enough when we go down. And every year when we get home, I am disappointed with my piture selection, or lack there of. Part of my excuse for not taking many pictures this year was because I didn't get to go on any hikes like I normally love to do because I was stuck in my room doing homework (remember my oh-so-nice professor?). Plus, our trip was cut short this year (we left before the sun came up on Sunday instead of staying until Monday) so I could get home to study for my big test Monday morning.

There is so much about my family that I really can't quite capture with a photo: their laughter, their friendship and love, the ease that I feel when I am around them, the great conversations. However, here are a few memories I actually did capture -

My dad suggested we play a softball game this year which was a great addition to the normal activities and will hopefully become a tradition. I sat out for most of the game because #1 - I had two sick kids on my hands who really needed "mommy", and #2 - I haven't played softball since I was 12 and knew I would look like a fool. However, about 3/4 through the game I decided I wanted to see if I could still hit a ball, so Brian took over "sick kid duty" and I went in the game. I am sure my teammates weren't too happy with the trade, but they were all too nice to say anything! Just in case you are wondering, softball wasn't my strong suit when I was 12 and nothing has changed! Oh well, it was still fun. And yes, I did hit the ball...kind of.

Brian took the kids swimming and I was so happy to see Ashlyn enjoying herself this year! (Last year was a different story.) Trent on the other hand, did not enjoy himself as much. (Maybe next year for him?) I did not join in the fun here because #1 - I took advantage of the break from kids to do some homework (are you noticing a theme here?), and #2 - my mail-ordered six pack hasn't come yet.

On Saturday night after the traditional potluck, a few of us nerds broke out our cameras and had some fun with Matt's assortment of lenses. Thanks Matt! My favorite? The semi fish-eye. We are one good lookin' family!

Only 51 weeks until next year!!

15 comments:

Zachary said...

Ahhhh...so much fun! Sorry you had to do homework! How did you do on your test anyway?

Smiley Family said...

????? - My professor hasn't graded them yet!

Princess said...

Lol I love those pictures! I was forced to play softball as a child and I SUCK, so I know your pain! Bro, it looks like you need to use that push-up machine I gave you for Christmas, your breasts are sagging! I always envy your family trips to Ruby's Inn, looks like so much fun!

The Simmons Family said...

WOW ... you had a great time!! I remember reading your last year's post about Ruby's Inn.. has it been a year?? Really??

You are a better student than I... I would have studied in the car and said "that's it".. and just hoping for a miracle on the test... multiple choice perhaps??

Hope you Aced it!

Lindsay said...

Oh my gosh, I'm still cracking up about your "mail-ordered six-pack"!!! Where can I order one? Haha! What a fun trip! Cute pictures too!

All About M.E.('s) said...

Ah-ha-I knew there was more to your Spring break, although the first part sounds like a ton of fun.
Nice summary and great pictures. I LOVE Dad's softball stance!

Crazy Lifferths said...

Boo on the test situation! We were sad to miss this year, maybe we can make the trek next year! If you guys would've backed up from the camera, I might have enjoyed the pictures a little bit more :)

On a side note, I was wondering when you went private how you hid the comments so people could leave their emails? I tried to just select hide and it took the comment option away completely?!

Heather said...

So much fun! Can I join next year! Will anybody notice 5 non Lifferths there? I hope not! You have a great family :)

Esther said...

Those pictures are hysterical! Will you order me a 6 pack of abs as well?

rsheedy said...

LOVE the fish-eye pics! Also, I have some cute pictures of Trent that I need to give you; I took them at the softball game. Don't let me forget!

And, P.S. we are totally willing to adopt non-Lifferths, so your friends are more than welcome to come next year!! :)

whitney said...

I adored the fishy pictures. They were just hilarious!

Thanks for the unique view of Ruby's Inn!

The Wright's said...

The entire weekend was a blast - the game (which I am STILL sore from!), the cards, the cameras, the chatting. It's great. Hope to see your mail-ordered six pack next year! How bout a mail-ordered swimsuit??

Ashley Rae said...

LOL- those pictures are hilarious. I love camera tricks.

Gretch said...

SO FUN!! One of these years I really want to make it to the retreat! I LOVE the pictures! It just sums up how FANTASTIC our family is!!!

What a mean professor! I sure you did well on your test.

Monica Lifferth said...

Hey, when was the camera party? And why wasn't I invited? Hmmmm. Must be the fact that I'm a non-blood. :)