Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Very Special Day

Ashlyn turned three yesterday - can you believe it?! Brian took the day off work and we had such a fun day together. Ashlyn's day started with a brief stop to aunt Mindy's house. Mindy, Madi, and Maya greeted Ashlyn with a "Happy Birthday" sign, balloons, and a "Happy Birthday to you...". Then it was off to preschool. For most people, going to school or work on your birthday is no fun, but it's a different story for a three year old. She was the VIP for the week and was so happy to be the "special helper" on her special day. I also sent a yummy birthday treat for her class - zingers. Ashlyn later informed me that she did not like them. Crazy kid. Serioulsy, what kid doesn't like zingers?

After preschool we met up with some cousins at Chuck E. Cheese. Good times had by all.

After Chuck E. Cheese, we headed home so Ashlyn could finally see her "big surprise". She had been locked out of her room since Saturday and couldn't wait to finally see what was going on in there. This is what we had been up to:

Since I didn't find out the sex of my baby when I was pregnant with Ashlyn, we had painted the room a neutral green and I had planned on decorating accordingly after the baby was born. Well, after three years, I was tired of the green and I really hadn't done much with the room. I decided that it was high time Ashlyn to had a "little girl room" and what better time to do it than for her birthday.

I took "before" pictures, but can't seem to locate them. So just believe me when I say that her room before was BLAH!

We did the project as cheaply as we could. The daybed is my old bed that we freshened up with a new coat of paint. Even the bed spread is an old one of mine, but I did add some new pillows. I got the idea for the tent from here, but I didn't want to spend the $$$, so I made my own for 1/2 the price. The only thing I had to buy for the button butterfly pictures was the fabric. And the butterflies that we hung from the ceiling I had purchased two years ago for Ashlyn's first birthday party. I did also buy new curtains and the shelf above her dresser. Even though we reused/recycled and handmade most of her new room, I think it turned out pretty cute. And what did Ashlyn think?

Yep, she was pretty happy with it - even though her big surprise wasn't a "new blue pony" like she had guessed.

We had 'breakfast' for dinner - Ashlyn's favorite - and then, thanks to uncle Marty, we went to see some horses! This was probably the highlight of her entire day and she wasn't shy at all. She feed them carrots and rode on one by herself!

Brian and I have a small 2nd job on Wednesday nights, so we sadly had to leave Ashlyn for an hour with Grandpa - she didn't mind at all. When we came back, we had cupcakes and milk, and Grandmom gave her a couple presents. Finally, at the end of her special day, Ashlyn got a "new blue pony". Lucky girl.

We are having her party tomorrow night - can you guess the theme?

15 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ASHLYN!! Your new room is perfectly paired for a princess. I'm SO happy you got the blue horse you asked for!

I bet you're going to have a horse party for your birthday!?

Kamryn had a "Spirit" party for her 3rd birthday...

I'm sure it'll be amazing!! Have Fun, you only get to be THREE for a year! :)

Princess said...

So cute! I love the room, it turned out so good! I wish I could be there for her party, but I am sure you will have lots of pictures for me to see! Can't wait to see you guys next week!

Lindsay said...

So cute! I LOVE her new room, nice work! Birthday parties are so fun at that age! Looks like she had a great day. Happy Birthday Ashlyn!

Heather said...

Happy Happy Birthday Ashlyn Dear! What a great birthday surprise! The bedroom is DaRLinG! You are the best mom ever, I cant get over your ability to make something out of anything!

The Lund Five said...

Ashlyn's room turned out so cute!!! I can't wait to see it in person. Happy Birthday Ashlyn!! Can't wait until your party tonight!!!!

Renee said...

What an adorable room! That tent is awesome, & even more special that you made it yourself!! :) I'm sure that will be a treasured hide-out!

Hope to see you guys at the mission reunion! :)

Monica Lifferth said...

Great job Jame! You as always made her room absolutely perfect. I can't wait to see it. We sure love Ash Belle! I'm glad she had a good day!

Gretch said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ASHLYN!!
Is she really 3?! Man, these kids grow too fast! Maybe she would have preferred dog food for her treat? LOL! I still get a kick out of that video. hahaha!

I LOVE the room!!!!! It is so CUTE! And what a great present-a big girl room! I love that you did it on a budget and reused stuff that is my kind of style.

Jamie said...

Cute, cute, cute - cute Ashlyn, cute romm, & cute mom!!!

Happy Birthday Ash-bell!

Love you guys!

The Carter Family: said...

The room is super cute! I think you treasure it more when you redo or make most of the stuff yourself!!! I can't believe she is 3 already-where does time go? Anyways, HAPPY B-DAY ASHLYN!!!

Esther said...

Happy (late) Birthday Ashlyn! I love that she loves horses! (a girl after my own heart) I absolutely love her room, and even better you didn't have to spend a fortune to do it!

p.s. seriously what's not to love about zingers?

Ashley Rae said...

What a lucky girl! That room is so adorable. I can't wait to move into our new house so I can decorate Kennedy's room how I want. You did an awesome job with it. And I'm impressed that you did so well at keeping it cheap!

Happy 3rd birthday, Ashlyn!

All About M.E.('s) said...

I'm glad that Ashlyn had such a special day! I love the room, it turned out VERY cute. Happy Birthday Ash-belle. Love you lots!!

whitney said...

Happy, happy birthday!

I LOVE the room! What a fun suprise! It's just so adorable and girl-ified!

Mary said...

Oh my gosh 3! Happy Belated Birthday hugs to Ashlyn.

I Love the room! I would love to sit in that sweet tent and play horses with Ashlyn.

Nice job Mom! Ashlyn will have the sweetest dreams.

Miss you guys and love you mucho!