Tuesday, January 27, 2009

New Year, New Word

I know, I know, the anticipation has been killing you. Here we are almost 1/12 into 2009 and I have not yet revealed my "word". However, before we can talk about 2009, we must first take a look back at 2008. Just in case you forgot, my word for 2008 was "grow". I really wanted to focus on spiritual, mental and emotional growth.

Did I accomplish my goal? Well, I went back to school, so I think I can cross off mental growth. Spiritual growth? I think so. Because of my calling as a RS teacher, I was forced to study. Definitely a good thing. Now I am the primary chorister (weird I know), which does not at all require the same type of study and preparation. I used to study the scriptures, Ensigns, and various churchy books. Nowadays I am trying to figure out the difference between 2/4 and 4/4, practicing my "head, shoulders, knees, and toes", and cutting out paper fish. Oh boy! And emotional growth? Who knows. I'm a woman, I'm emotional.

In reality, "grow" is more of a lifetime goal. I hope to always be learning something new, reading a good book, studying, developing a stronger testimony, and maybe even learning how to control those dang hormones.

Okay, now the moment you've been waiting for:



I actually decided on this word way back in November '08 (a lifetime ago). And my main reason for choosing the word was because I really want to build up our food storage and emergency essentials. However, the more I thought about it, the more areas I found it to apply to my life. "Prepare" involves:
  • finances (our savings needs a boost, and so do my kids' college funds)
  • schooling (no room for procrastination there)
  • my new calling (I am starting from scratch and I have loads to do)
  • being on time (that's a toughy for me, but I am usually late because I didn't prepare well enough)
  • organization (I think the two go hand-in-hand)
  • motherhood (so much to teach and prepare my kids for in this world)
So, yes, it is a much bigger word than I had originally thought. I think I may have bit off more than I can chew. But, I'm gonna try my darned hardest. Plus: "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear" (D&C 38:30), and it seems like there is an awful a lot of "fear" happening these days.

10 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

Prepare is a great word!! I'm a bit type A so I prepare for everything... a little TOO much.

Good luck with your goals!

Ashley Rae said...

I think "prepare" is an excellent word. That is something I struggle with, unfortunately. Although I am better at it than Justin (that's pretty pathetic, huh?) :)

rsheedy said...

That is a great word, and I definitely admire your ambition. You are so amazing; I wish I could accomplish half of what you do in a day!

Nathan and Esther said...

That's a great word! I think you will do awesome with it.

p.s. my savings need a boost also, wanna help?

Princess said...

As I am never one to mince words, I think you "grew" a ton last year so I congratulate you on that! I also admire "prepare" as I am a procrastinator to the depths of my soul and that word is way too much for me to ever attempt. I know you will do great though!

Johansen Family said...

Your AMAZING! You will have to give me any tips you find on preparing food storage.

The Carter Family: said...

That is a great word! I'm sure you find out the busier you are, the more prepared you have to be...so it is good to have lots of goals and I'm sure you will accomplish them all!!!

The Wright's said...

I like it. It's a good word.

Deb Nott said...

I love that you base your goals on one word! Sometimes we find ourselves setting all of these lofty and detailed goals and of course that just leads to ruin and disappointment! But, you do it the smart way! Good luck!

Gretch said...

Great word! You never cease to amaze me Jamie! Truly inspiring! I know you'll do great on your goal!