Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Why I Love My Blog

Happy Anniversary! Exactly one year ago today, I took a big step and entered the blogging world. I know, I know, that sounds pretty corny. But I love my blog, my fellow bloggers, and the blogging community. Here's why...

1. I have always been a horrible journal keeper. I think this goes back to a traumatic experience I had after my mom gave me my very first journal when I was baptized. I was so excited to have my very own journal. It was a beautiful teal book with pressed flowers on the cover and hundreds of blank pages just waiting to be filled with my thoughts. However, after making several entries, I was assaulted with the realization that not everyone honors the unspoken privacy journal code. You see, I was sitting with my family in church when one of my siblings (specifics are being left out so I don't get in too much trouble for sharing this story) leaned over and began whispering in my ear the contents of my journal writings. I was mortified! And my attempts at keeping a personal journal where quickly extinguished. I did try again a few times but I was never consistent. So, the fact that I have indeed been keeping a journal (of sorts) for a year now is amazing to me - even though this time around I am allowing the whole world read, if they so choose. I was going to make a big deal about my 100th post, but I past it up without even realizing. This is my 110th post!! My entire combined lifetime of journal entries probably adds up to 30, give or take a few. I can not believe that I have recorded 110 facts/events/thoughts about my life and my family in one year! WOW.

2. I get to be so much more in touch with my family and friends who live both out of in and out of state. My aunt Merry Lynn said it best when she said it is like we are all living next door to each other rather than miles and miles apart. Even though I still get to see my family and friends on a regular basis, I would not likely know all the great stories and details of their lives that they share on their blogs.

3. I have reconnected with old friends: Ashley, Amber, Melissa, Karissa, Andrea, and Maren. I would not be in touch with these great gals if it wasn't for the wonderful world of blogging. Who knows who else I may reconnect with in the future because of blogs?!

4. The blogging community is a united force. I first heard of the Nielson tragedy through my best friend Jamie. Since she lives in AZ, she heard about the story when it first happened. And since her husband just graduated with his aviation degree, she was especially touched by their story. I then heard even more about the Nielsons through Kaila's blog. She is a long time friend of Stephanie. And then about a week ago, Brian got an email from a sister missionary that he served with to inform him that an elder from their mission had been in a plane crash. Come to find out, Christian was one of Brian's missionary companions. Isn't it amazing how connected we all are? If you have not yet heard of the Nielson's story, you really should check it out. There was a segment about them on the news the other night, stating that through the blogging community, over $100,000 has been raised to help them. So, the blogging community really is a wonderful thing.

5. I am giving my children an incredible gift. This goes back to point #1. When it comes right down to it, I am blogging for them. I want them to know my thoughts about being a mom and how grateful I am to have them. And since they won't remember this time in their lives when they grown up, I want them to be able to look back and read about it. In case you didn't know, you can publish your blog through blurb. I have not yet done it, but I plan to the first of next year.

So, there you have it. Blogging is great. Happy One Year Anniversary!

14 comments:

All About M.E.('s) said...

Ahhh.....happy anniversary. I agree-blogging is fantastic for all of the reasons you listed. I wondered if when we all started this blogging thing if it would last and well, I'm a little surprised that it is still going. But, I'm glad it is.

Oh, and......WHATEVER!

Princess said...

Happy Blogiversary! I too love blogging for all those reasons and I love that when I am thinking of someone, I can just go look at their blog to see what is going on or see pictures of people I love! I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it looks like Mindy has some apologizing to do!

rsheedy said...

Way to go! Your blog looks great, too! :)

Deb Nott said...

It's Awesome! I totally agree with all of your reasons. It has been such a great way for me to actually get to know some of my family members (there are quite a few!) and I love it! Thank you for blogging! (And for the awesome bread/jam. I still have your tupperware...We will return it as soon as we can!)

Hello! said...

Word lady. Word.

Renee said...

Small world isn't it. I'm that "Sister Missionary" by the way! :) We met at the front door of Old Navy a few years back! :) I didn't realize that Brian & Christian were companions...what area was that?

So sad... I enjoy your blog! It's awesome to see everyone's life after the mission. Your family is darling!

The Simmons Family said...

LOVE the new blogging layout!! Thanks to YOU..I am now a blogging junkie and I have met SO many heart families that are going through the same trials that we are. I wouldn't have found that without being a part of the blogging world! I didn't know blurb would print blogs, but I'm going to make a book for Owen's first year. I've documented EVERYTHING about his surgeries, days in ICu and fears I had. It's so great!!!

Thanks for showing me the blogging world!!

Andrea

The Lund Five said...

Happy 1 Year Anniversary! I love the new blog layout! Did you design it yourself? I am also greatful for blogging because I am not that great of a journal writer either.

Becca said...

Great blog Jaime. I like your new look. Let me know how printing your blog turns out. I would like to do that too.

Melissa said...

Amen. Blogging is such a beautiful, beautiful phenomenon. Long live the internet. And long live this blog.

Ashley Rae said...

Happy anniversary!! And I totally agree with all your good reasons for liking the blog world. I really enjoy it, too, for all of those reasons. It's so nice to be able to get back in touch with so many people!

The Carter Family: said...

Happy Anniversary!! I think you and your sisters were the ones that got all of us hooked on blogging too-what a great influence you are!! And, I agree w/ Becca, let us know how the printing goes so we will know how it turns out!!

Gretch said...

Wow, happy one year!! Don't you just LOVE blogging! I love being able to know what is going on with all of you fabulous cousins! It makes living far away feel not so far.

FYI-Jason just surprised me and made the first six months of my blog into a book form- I LOVE IT!! It is so much fun looking through the book and remembering all that has happened. He did it through blurb.com (I think, I'll post it on my blog soon) anyways, it was great you should look into it.

whitney said...

Happy anniversary! I completely agree. Blogging helps me keep in touch with everyone and for the first time in my life I'm (kinda) keeping a regular journal.