Monday, June 9, 2008

Faux Pas

Kids get away with everything. Uncouth behaviors that are unacceptable for adults are perfectly okay for children. I have often thought about this and wondered what it would be like if adults acted more like children. Skipping down the isles at the grocery store. Stomping feet and pouting when we can't have an ice cream cone. Shoveling fistfuls of jello in our mouths with our hands. Crying when we find out there is no more chocolate milk. Running around the front yard in your underwear. Shoving the person who took that last shirt on the clearance rack. Breaking out in song in the middle of Sunday School. Eating dog food...oh wait, that isn't even normal behavior for most children, just mine!


But kids do these kinds of things all the time and it's accepted, it's normal, and sometimes it's even cute. And it isn't just uncouth behaviors that kids can get away with, its also their appearance. It's okay for kids to go to the store without shoes and a shirt. It's okay for them to wear their pajamas all day. It's okay for them to "wear" their lunch. It's okay for them to have wild and crazy hair. And it is even cute when they have food stuck to their face...


14 comments:

The Lund Five said...

That is so true! That picture of Trent is cute. It is funny how food stuck the face is cute for kids. Loved the post!

Zachary said...

Society...it's standards are a double-edged sword!

Heather said...

Cute post, what a great little guy. Tate misses him! I guess I need to get some cheerios...

The Simmons Family said...

Oh...what it was like to be a kid! That's the joy of being a mommy... we get to enjoy all the little faux pas of childhood with our own kids!

Ashley Rae said...

Oh yes... sometimes I wish I could just throw an insanely irreverent temper tantrum when I don't get my way... but I worry too much about what people may think.

I love that kids can get away with almost anything.

Becca said...

Funny. Your post is soo the truth. It's unfortunate we have to grow up.

The Wright's said...

Thank heavens for kids...

All About M.E.('s) said...

hee hee hee...that's cute

whitney said...

What, you don't throw a temper tantrum when you don't get your way? I'm pretty sure I do...and that my neighbors agree :P

Love the post!

The Simmons Family said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Princess said...

If only a Cheerio could make us all that happy! What an angel!

Melissa said...

Looks like you've been outed. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Many happy returns of the day. You're an absolute gem.

Gretch said...

Cute post!!! Trent is so adorable!

I also wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY TODAY!!!! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Love ya!

Nathan and Esther said...

You crack me up Jamie! That was so funny and so true!