Monday, January 14, 2008

The BIG Three-O!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY!!

Brian turned 30 today! It has been a fun weekend o' celebrations. On Saturday we had the Smiley clan over for a pizza party, and last night we celebrated with a steak dinner at the Lifferths. I woke up extra early this morning (7:00 - I know it doesn't compare to Ruth's 5:30 routine, or Gretchen's 6:00 resolution, but it was a feat for me!) to make Brian breakfast and give him his presents. Ashlyn managed to get herself a spoonful of Ovaltine, hence the chocolate ring around her mouth.


I did not take Monica's scrapbook challenge because I have been busy making a book for Brian, "30 Messages From 30 Friends & Family on Your 30th Birthday". It was a really fun project and Brian was completely surprised. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

At the end of the book, I included a list of 30 reasons why I love Brian. In case you did not already know what a great guy I married, here's proof...

In no particular order:

1. He works hard, earning himself promotions and raises and allowing me to be a stay-at-home mom.

2. He is a University graduate—quite an accomplishment!

3. He takes pride in his yard, doing what he can to make it look nice and learning new things, like gardening.

4. He helps around the house. He does the dishes without me asking, and he is always asking, “What can I do to help?” or “What would you like me to do?”.

5. He tells me I am beautiful.

6. He drives an old dodge neon, which requires a screwdriver to shift and he does not complain.

7. He is an excellent father to Ashlyn and Trent. He gets excited when he sees Trent smile. He loves to play with Ashlyn and make her laugh. And he changes poopy diapers even though he swore he never would.

8. He serves in the church, even if he is called to the nursery.

9. He is generous with his time and knowledge—always helping others whenever possible and not expecting anything in return.

10. He is smart with money.

11. He is the best uncle. He loves to get down on the floor and play with the kids.

12. He married me in the temple—committing to an eternity.

13. He is funny!

14. He makes me banana pancakes.

15. He laughs at all my dumb jokes. He thinks I am witty.

16. He make me feel safe.

17. Family is important to him. I know our family is his #1 priority. He also loves and treats my family—even the extended—like his own.

18. He believes in me, even when I do not.

19. He is my best friend. We have fun together. I know I can trust him.

20. He writes me love notes.

21. He has a very soft, emotional side, even though he doesn’t usually show it.

22. He proposed to me twice!

23. He can laugh at his mistakes.

24. He always apologizes.

25. He keeps up on current events. I know I can always ask him about what is happening in the news.

26. He does not drive a motorcycle, even though he really wants one, because he knows it scares me.

27. Lucky for Cooper, he is a good dog owner.

28. He is fearless. He is always willing to try new things and he is brave enough to confront people.

29. He is a great fix-it man. He has saved us a lot of money because of his ability to fix just about anything.

30. He is not content to remain stagnant in life. He wants to progress, move forward and better his situation.


You are loved Brian. I hope you have a wonderful Birthday!

12 comments:

Hello! said...

Happy Birthday Brian!
Jaim, like I said in my birthday message to Brian, I hope I'm as lucky as you one day. After reading your 30 reasons, I might have to send my man over to get some pointers (especially the love notes part. he he he

Zachary said...

Happy Birthday Brian! You really are a great man!

All About M.E.('s) said...

Happy Birthday Brian. You are one of my favorite brother-in-laws.

The Lund Five said...

Happy Birthday Brian! You are a great Brother-in-law. That looks like an awesome book Jamie. Looks like you put a lot of work into it. I can't wait to see it up close.

Monica Lifferth said...

Happy Birthday Brian. Love you lots!

Great cover on the book Jame. I also can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

Erica said...

Happy Birthday, Brian!

Nathan and Esther said...

Happy Birthday Brian! What a neat idea for a book Jamie!

Princess said...

Happy Birthday baby bro! Love yer guts!

Anonymous said...

Jamie,

you are awesome, thanks for making this a great b-day. Also, thank you to everyone who contributed to the book...You all rock....

The Carter Family: said...

Happy Birthday Brian! Wow! 30! I guess you can no longer say you are in your 20's anymore, huh? I also guess it means that you are OLD!!! Oh, wait...I am turning 30 this year also-AAAGGHHH!!! Anyways, the book looks awesome and your tribute to Brian was great!

Gretch said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN! I learned a lot of great things about you from the "30 reasons Jaime loves you" What a GREAT GUY you are. I hope you had a fabulous b-day.

Jamie the book looks WONDERFUL. What a great gift! Oh, and way to go on getting up early. :)

THE BRADY BUNCH said...

That is such a CUTE book and a CUTE idea - way to go!!!