Saturday, December 8, 2007

Christmas Gifts

I went Christmas shopping tonight. I am seriously behind. I wish I could say it is because I had a baby 3 1/2 weeks ago. But, let's be honest, I am seriously behind every year. I never start my Christmas shopping until after Thanksgiving. And I actually like it that way. I enjoy the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping. It makes me happy. I get excited thinking about what to get my family and friends, planning it out, and then making those purchases. Also, I don't like to ask people what they want for Christmas and I don't like to make requests for myself. I prefer the surprise on Christmas morning.

So, tonight as I was out on my shopping adventure, I began thinking of Christmas's past and gifts I have given and received. One of the most memorable gifts I have ever given was three years ago when I gave Brian a puppy. It was such a fun gift to plan out and give. Who wouldn't love getting a puppy on Christmas morning? I hardly slept on Christmas Eve because the anticipation was so great - I felt like a kid again!

Another memorable gift was the marshmallow gun I gave Aaron two years ago. I don't really know why...it was just a fun gift to give.

The most memorable gifts I have received are the sentimental ones. The books my Dad and Mom have written and given to their children over the years are priceless. I would not trade those books for anything.

I would love to hear what your favorite gifts are from Christmas's past. Both given and received...

8 comments:

The Carter Family: said...

Some of my favorite gifts that I have received have come from my sister Rachael. She has made up hardcopy books with pictures of our kids throughout the year-they are priceless! My kids LOVE looking at them and it means I don't have to scrapbook! She has also made DVD's and books for my parents that contain pictures of them growing up and it is fun to know their lives better. I also just love giving gifts to my kids because they get excited over ANYTHING they get-it is so much fun to watch them!

Jamie said...

I too don't like to ask or tell what I want for Christmas. I love being surprised with gifts that people have truly thought of. Some of my favorite gifts have come from you! And they're displayed in my home. You are so thoughtful and crafty, I love it! I love gifts from my Granny & Mom too.

Princess said...

My favorite gift ever was a leather Harley Davidson jacket from my dad. You know my obsession with motorcycles and it was an unexpected gift and something I really love. As for gifts I gave, it had to have been when I made everyone hats and scarves. I like to make my gifts for people but my creativity only goes so far. I really enjoyed doing that though.

Hello! said...

My fave gift that I have received has actually been this year. Ben gave me a present to open on Saturday before he left for South America. It was a My Little Pony ornament. I've had Christmas Trauma with My Little Ponies in the past, so it was very sweet of him. Yes, I cried. Yes, it's on my tree.
The gift I was most excited about giving was a few years back. My siblings and I made my parents a blanket with all of our handprints cutout and sewn on it. Our family has had some changes since then, but it is still hanging on the wall at my parents. All the little kids like to put their hands up to others on the blanket to compare.

Nathan and Esther said...

My favorite gift was a horse. Yes one year for christmas I got a real live horse. I actually wasn't quite sure what to do with it. I ended up petting it a lot. Other than that I can't really remember anything else I have given or received, but my favorite part is christmas morning and waking up early to Manheim Steamroller and the smell of bacon and watching everyone open gifts.

Mary said...

My favorite gifts have been from my family. Things that were handmade and I still have. A rag tied garland w/painted wooden ornaments that I take out every single year and display with pride because it reminds me that I am loved. Painted sayings, wooden trees and knitted hats and scarfs. All are still my favorite. My favorite give I have given is not really the gift but the presentation. I send my husband and daughter on a treasure hunt for their gift. I start with a note in a present that sends them to another note that has a rhyme that sends them to another locations until finally they arrive at the gift. It is so much fun to see there faces saying, "not fair" and then when they open the gift they are filled with joy. I just love that! Maybe it's a control thing. Hmmmmm.

Gretch said...

One of my favorite gifts that comes to mind, came from our first year in med school. Jason and I weren't able to go home because I was working. We had ZERO $$$ and told each other that we really just couldn't get each other anything. Low and behold Christmas morning when we woke up Jason did get me something...He wrote a poem for me! It was very sweet and made me cry!

Sandi said...

My favorite gift I every gave (In my humble opinion) was the year I wrote letters to each person in my family and wrote them in such a way that it seemed like the letters were from Jesus. They were very personal, it addressed each person by name and then at the end of the letter it asked them this question, What gift do you have to give to me over the next year? It really left the room in a very spiritual mood