Saturday, March 5, 2011

Top Ten Things I've Learned Since I Started Running

Wait a minute! Running? Seriously?! Yes. I have started running. Me. The person who swore to never take up running. The one who hated running. The one who thought people who enjoyed running were certifiably crazy. But I did start running, and it is all Mindy's fault. She's a sneaky one. She started asking me over a year ago if I wanted to start running with her. I laughed. I said no. I said no way. But, she persisted.

It started out simple enough. We joined a gym, because although I didn't want to run, I do enjoy a good workout and wanted to get in shape. And when, on occasion, there wasn't a good class to go to, we went upstairs to run on the treadmills. I was pretty proud of myself on the day I ran for 25 minutes without stopping. And then again on the day I ran for 3 miles without stopping (it took me 40 minutes, but hey, it was still a big accomplishment). And most recently on the day I ran 6.7 miles. It was awesome!

Okay, back to my top ten list:

10. I'm a tortoise. Yep, I'm that slow. Seriously slow. Old men pass me on the indoor track at the gym. But, I am getting faster.
9. Running outside is sooo much better than running inside. Unfortunately, we have only been able to run outside twice. A combination of early mornings and bad weather have prevented outdoor runs, but hopefully that will change soon and we will be running outside often.
8. ipods are awesome! I have finally joined the wonderful world of modern technology by way of my very own shuffle. Brian got it for me for Valentines day, and he even got it engraved. Yes, ipods are awesome, but so is my husband.
7. I have a bad knee. Who knew? I certainly didn't. Mindy thinks I need new shoes, which I probably do. But, it hurts and it makes me mad and I have yet to find a solution. FYI - to stop running is not a solution.
6. Running makes me hungry. My appetite has gotten a little out of control. And I totally justify eating more because I am running.
5. Running is addicting and the more you run the easier it gets. There is no way I could have comprehended running over six miles when I first started. But I love that I have done it and I can do it. Now I am looking forward to the day when I can run for 10 miles. Woohoo!
4. I have muscles in my legs I've never seen before! It's amazing really. Of course they would probably be even better if it weren't for reason #6.
3. Running when you're 32 is not the same as running when you're 13. Being forced to run a mile in eighth grade gym class was brutal for me. It was the reason for me not wanting to run again. I used to get the worst headaches after running those miles.
2. Running is a great way to work off some aggression and relieve stress. It has come in handy on more than one occasion.

And the number one thing I have learned since I started running.
Drum roll please.........





1. Running is kinda fun. *Gulp* Yep, I said it. I never would have dreamed those words would come out of my mouth. But it's true. It definitely helps to have an awesome running partner. And, I especially like the part when I'm done and drenched in sweat. ;o)

So, there you have it. Never say never. I always said I would never be a runner and here I am training for a half marathon. Lesson learned.

15 comments:

rsheedy said...

Way to go! I am impressed. I definitely think having a good running buddy makes all the difference in the world. My problem is that I'd still rather be doing something else. :)

Melissa said...

Wahoo. Wise words. I've been hitting a bit of a running slump, so thanks for the reminder. Hooray for running.

The Carter Family: said...

Awesome! I am seriously impressed! Which half are you doing? I really want to do one up there...now maybe I will. As for the bad knee, sometimes mine gives me a hard time and I got a "sleeve" found in a sporting store. It slides up your leg and covers above and below your knee and applies gentle pressure to it. Very lightweight and easy to use. The first time I used it, my knee felt great! I love it and it actually made my knee feel better, so I only need it every now and then when it is acting up! Anyways, check it out..maybe $10-15? Keep on running....!!!

The Carter Family: said...

p.s. they have "sleeves" that have holes that open up on the kneecap or ones without the holes...get the ones WITHOUT the hole (per the advice of my athletic trainer...a.k.a. Esther!!)

Ashley Rae said...

YAY! Good for you!! I never ran more than a mile until I trained for a marathon 4 years ago. And you're right- running can be fun. It is SO much better outside. You're going to love it once it starts getting beautiful out there. Oh- and running in the rain is actually pretty freaking cool, too. Nice, summer rain to cool you off when you're all sweaty. Pretty awesome. Until your shoes get soggy...

Way to go!!

Lindsay said...

WOW! You go girl! I am still in the mindset of "I will never be a runner". Maybe someday that will change! Thanks for the hope!

All About M.E.('s) said...

I am older and wiser and you should have listened to me a long time ago! ;) Really, though, I am so glad that you finally caved. It has been fun having you as a running partner! And I am so glad that you are enjoying it-I knew you had it in you!

Erica said...

Wow! You are amazing! I want to be a runner. Maybe i'll try again this year. Wish I had a fun partner.

Emily said...

No! Now who will commiserate with me about all the crazy running people? I happy that you're happy, but running? Really? Well, okay then, may the road rise up to meet your feet :)

whitney said...

Great post! yay! for a nice long run!

I was a gym class running-hater and it stuck with me until I started running as an adult. I've taken a pregnancy-induced hiatus, but hopefully I can pick it back up post-baby belly.

Gretch said...

Jamie, great post! You have inspired me! I do the running on the treadmill but I have never gotten to the point of loving it. I know I would love to run outside, but I am such a chicken and always worry about everything that could happen. I need a good running partner I guess.

Zachary said...

Ha ha ha...Good for you going over to the Dark Side...but I still can't do it. I've tried. It's not for me.

The Wright's said...

I'm proud of you. I still won't run - but I am so glad you found you like it. I hope that knee feels better cause it sounds like you are in it for the long haul! You go girl!!!

Heather said...

Yaay! I am glad you have joined our running world! We are glad to have you! Hopefully we can do a half together..there are some fun ones! Good Job!

Hello! said...

Running? i'm going to go faint.
good for you!!