Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Nutshell

Between the renovating, moving and unpacking, there have been several noteworthy moments in the Smiley family. Here is a look at our lives over the past month and a half, in a nutshell:

Easter was celebrated successfully. I think there was a fair balance of peeps, egg dying, & chocolate, and talk of Christ and the resurrection. I really wanted to focus more on the true meaning of Easter this year, so the kids did not receive baskets on Easter morning. Instead, I made them each a book full of gospel pictures (mostly of Christ), each with a corresponding quote taken from the Children's hymn book. The books went over better than I thought. The kids really loved them and they have been a great help during Sacrament meetings. The kids then got their fill of sweets and treats during our annual Easter egg hunt at Grandmom and Grandpa Lifferth's home that night.

Ashlyn has become quite interested in puzzle making and has gotten quite good. Just in case you wanted to know, dollar stores are a great place to buy kid puzzles.

Trent pulled out all the drawers in Ashlyn's dresser and consequently the whole thing came tumbling down. A loud crash was followed by screaming and crying. Trent was pinned under two drawers, but fortunately walked away without a scratch. Did I mention that he also had two doors fall on him during renovations? Poor kid, tough though. In both cases, the mental trauma was worse than the physical. For a couple weeks after those two experiences, he would cover his head when he heard a loud noise.

Proof that Trent is going to be an awesome big brother. He adores Mailey and is thrilled when he gets to hold her.

My sweet Mom celebrated 60 years of life. We were able to go to the temple that night for a very special session, which I will hold dear to my heart as one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. We then had a yummy steak dinner followed by a most delicious chocolate cake - kudos to Mindy. My mom deserves the very best and I hope she felt loved on her day.

Hours of entertainment were provided during all the unpacking thanks to "bubblers," as Ashlyn likes to call them.

Trent and Ashlyn both caught fifth's disease - aka, "slap-face." At least that is what I figure it was. There were no other symptoms other than very, very rosy cheeks and a rash on their arms and legs that unpredictably came and went for about a week.

Mother's Day was a wonderful day. I haven't one picture to show for it, but it really was wonderful. Brian outdid himself by fixing me a delicious breakfast and by giving me a gift that not everyone would have appreciated, but one that I was thrilled with - a Bissell green machine. Brian knows me well. Oh, and then there was also the beautiful bouquet of flowers. After breakfast, Brian took care of all household duties so that I could soak in a bubble bath. I love my husband.

Ashlyn made an adorable flower pot for me at preschool, complete with a planted seed which we have diligently monitored every day, checking the growth and making sure the "dust" isn't too dry. Ashlyn also gave me a paper stating that for Mother's day she would "help her make cookies," "help her take care of Trent," and "help her not get food on her clothes." Phew!

Ashlyn had her preschool graduation. She is not headed to kindergarten next year, but with a year and a half of preschool under her belt, I think she is done. Instead of paying preschool tuition, next year, I am looking forward to lots of field trips with my kids: the zoo, dinosaur museum, discovery gateway, the aviary, the aquarium, etc.

As part of the program, Ashlyn was suppose to recite "Mary Had A Little Lamb" which she did perfectly at home. We practiced and practiced and she had it down pat, clear as a bell. However, she suffered a little stage fright when the moment arrived and unfortunately mumbled her way through the rhyme. Too bad, because she had her own version of the last verse:
The teacher turned and moved it out, moved it out, moved it out
The teacher turned and moved it out, but the lamb came baaaaaaack!

Ashlyn had her very first sleep-over! I didn't know how well this was going to go over, but it was great. The girls went to bed just fine and slept side-by-side all through the night.

We had a cousin softball game at the park kiddy-corner to our home. Unfortunately I again don't have one picture, but it was a fun night. I opted to not play, running just didn't sound very appealing. Next time though!

And that is about it. I'm sure there is more, but this is all my "pregnancy brain" can come up with!

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Looks like a great month-or-so! Cute pictures!

And P.S. I would be thrilled to take family pictures of you guys anytime! So fun!

Zachary said...

In that first picture, is Trent really taking on an entire pack of Marshmallow Peeps??

I am so proud of that boy!

Ashley Rae said...

Awesome update. You have such adorable kids. :) Yay for sleepovers! Girls are so much fun.

Princess said...

Wow, I can always count on you guys to have enough life for me as well! Lol Now I have never heard of this "slap-face". Are you sure it isn't exactly what it sounds like? I have known Brian to have "loose" hands at times :) Miss you

Erica said...

Mmmmm...PEEPS! Love them! Your kids are so cute and getting so big. Great post. Can't wait to see the new addition!!