Thursday, February 12, 2009

Weird.

So, after I posted that I was going private, I got an email from Brian Smiley - but not my husband. He said he was from Dallas and he came across my blog while searching for his sister-in-law's blog, who apparently also has a son named Trent. He said that he had added me to his goggle reader and wanted to be added to my private list.

Um, I don't think so.

Now, maybe he is a nice guy. And then again, you just never know. His real name might not even be Brian Smiley. Who can you really trust in this world? His email pretty much confirmed my desire to go private. I just want family and friends that I know personally to be viewing the details of my life and family. The idea that someone who I don't know has been reading all about my family, just because of a few similarities in names, well that just makes me a little uncomfortable. Like I said, it may all be innocent and he may be a nice guy, but I just don't think I can be too safe when it comes to my kids and the internet.

Poll: Am I overreacting? Would you have added "Brian Smiley" to your private list?

I know that private blogs are just not as convenient as those open to the public, so thank you for your patience and support.

I hope you continue to read Smiley headlines :)

14 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

I agree with your decision. I've been trying to think of a way to make ourselves anonymous without going private.. not easy!

We have to protect our kids from the crazies in the world.

Andrea

Gretch said...

That is totally weird! And yes, I would not add him to your blog. Crazy! I got a weird comment too when I asked for those that wanted to be invited to my blog it was from some guy in Fortine that somehow found my blog. He wanted to know if I knew a Gretchen from Montana. Uh yes. And he also told me he had a crush on one of her sisters. That was also weird.

For the record, I still am glad I went private even though I don't get as many visitors.

Hey do you mind asking Mindy to add me to her blog-I haven't been able to view it since she went private. Thanks!

Gretch said...

Okay just kidding on Mindy's blog, I can get it now. :-)

Amy said...

Thanks for including us!! I don't think you should include someone because of similar names. He could have been named Jesus and it wouldn't change the fact that you dont know him.
Aloha

Ashley Rae said...

Um... yeah. Weird. Sounds like he definitely could be a creepy old man. He *COULD* be related to you, but hey- if he is, there are other ways to find family members than by spying on blogs, right? Better safe than sorry.

The Wright's said...

I certainly wouldn't add him. But I am still not ready to jump on the private bandwagon. This is the only way I can keep our friends in Mexico updated on us. They won't be able to view it because they aren't computer savvy. Just don't think I am irresponsible. I'd rather be ignorant.

Esther said...

That guy was wierd and you are not overreacting, It's always better to be safe than sorry!

Zachary said...

I think you made the right choice in NOT adding this other Brian. As far as I am concerned, there is only one Brian Smiley in the world. Congrats on your Privacy!!

Lindsay said...

I TOTALLY agree with your decision - that would have completely freaked me out. I'm slightly paranoid when it comes to my baby and the internet, but I think you did the right thing! I was going to ask you...you mentioned before about something you log into and it shows how many un-read posts you have of other people's blogs - how do you do that? That would be very handy and time-saving! Thanks Jamie!

Johansen Family said...

You already know my feelings on this. It is creepy and I definately do not see the best of people in my line of work. Sicko!

Jamie said...

Um, that would totally freak me out. I would not have added him to your blog, to bad he has your email!!!

Deb Nott said...

Yeah, you did the right thing!

Amber said...

Yeah, I would've gone private the second I got his email too! That is kind of creepy...maybe I should go private too.

Princess said...

Definitely NOT overreacting. There are a lot of "interesting" people in this world. You could have just blocked your own stalker! Wise choice!