Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Take A Deep Breath In...

and exhale. Whoopee!! I am officially on fall break and it couldn't have come at a better time. I usually go to school 6 days a week (my bio lab is on Saturday mornings - ugh!), so knowing that I don't have to go back to school until Monday is absolutely fantastic! I am in desperate need of a little R&R and my kids and hubby could definitely use a little extra TLC, so that is exactly what I plan on doing over the next 5 days.

Here are a few things on my agenda (dates and times not included):

  • Take the kids to the library for story time.
  • Bake pumpkin chocolate chip cookies with Ashlyn.
  • Go on a hot date with Bri - it has been months since we had a kid-free night.
  • Take a leisure stroll around the neighborhood.
  • Have a crafty girls night with my mom and sisters.
  • Take the kids to the zoo.
  • Soak in a long, hot bubble bath.
  • Drive through the mountains to enjoy the beautiful fall leaves.
As an added bonus, it is conference weekend, which means that I get to lounge around in my p.j.s all morning on Saturday and Sunday. Plus, a couple years ago I began the tradition of having pumpkin pancakes during the Sunday morning session of October conference. I love fall and I love all things pumpkin - pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pie, pumpkin empanadas, etc, etc.

Having pumpkin pancakes on conference weekend kicks off the pumpkin season for me. They are delicious and I invite you to join me. And when I say "join me", I don't actually want you to come to my house, I am just going to give you the recipe so you can make them yourself:

Pumpkin Pancakes

In a bowl, combine the following -
1 1/4 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
pinch of cloves

In a separate bowl, whisk together -
1 cup milk
6 tbsp canned pumpkin
2 tbsp melted butter
1 egg

Fold the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. Pour 1/4 cup for each pancake onto a medium heat skillet and cook about 3 minutes per side. Serve with butter and syrup. Makes about 10 pancakes. Bon Appetit!

Have a great weekend everyone, I know I will :o)

16 comments:

rsheedy said...

LOL...I'm totally going to show up at your house Sunday morning! Okay just kidding; I'll be too busy lounging too. Thanks for the recipe; I love this pumpkin phase too! Hope you have a great week. :)

Deb Nott said...

Thank you for the recipe! As I was reading I was thinking to myself... that sounds great! I want some!!!

Mike and Meg said...

I want you to take pictures of the fall leaves! I guess that is one of the things I may miss! I know Mike will love to watch Sunday morning with the new recipe!

The Carter Family: said...

Yeah! I love new recipes, I will definitely have to try it...even if I will be eating the finished product by myself! Have fun w/ your break until Monday!!

Melissa said...

I just barely had pumpkin pancakes for the first time, and they are awesome. Now I can make my own. Excellent.

Jamie said...

I have said it before and I'll say it again . . . you, my friend = a-m-a-z-i-n-g! You are just like Mary Poppins, practiculy perfect in every way! Anywho, I am sure you wouldn't be offended if I showed up Sunday morning for pumpkin pancakes . . . but with much heartache and disappointment I won't be making it. Love you chicky!

The Lund Five said...

I am also looking forward to a hot date with Dave. It has been awhile since we have gotten out. Most of our dates consist of dinner and a movie in. Looking forward to crafting on Saturday. I am glad you included the recipe for the pumpkin pancakes, because if you didn't I would be asking you for it. Enjoy your break!!!

Heather said...

You make me laugh! Love your agenda, I too, should do everything on your list...Love your pumpkin pancake tradition, ours is German Pancakes...yum-o!

The Simmons Family said...

OK... I'm going to have to try pumpkin pancakes on Sunday morning. I've been eating ONLY protein ALL week long and I'll be ready for a little carb charge on Sunday! Enjoy your relaxing week of NO SCHOOL and time with your family!

Erica said...

Never had pumpkin pancakes. I just might have to try them. They sound awesome. Looks like you'll have a fun and busy week! Hope it's going well!

Princess said...

I love all things pumpkin as well! Thanks for the recipe! Enjoy your time off! Miss you!

Amy said...

yum!

Becca said...

I can't believe we are really not invited to eat at your house. J/K You crack me up. Good luck on your list and I will be making those pancakes!

Zachary said...

What if I don't cook? Can I come over? :)

I am so sorry that I missed the cousin BBQ. I had "female" problems to deal with. But unless I am out of the country...I WILL be at the next one.

You and your family are of course invited to Movie Night here if you want to make the trek. I warn you...I live in Provo.

Craig Lifferth said...

We're going to cook pumpkin pancakes too!

whitney said...

phew...it's a good thing you put in that disclaimer or else I might actually have shown up (you cook THAT well), two thousand miles be darned.