Monday, October 27, 2008

Never A Dull Moment

Life with a (almost) one-year-old and a two-year-old can be interesting. Case in point: my day today.

Some days just don't go as planned and today was a prime example. The plan was to make sugar cookies with Ashlyn and take them to Brian's workplace. Turns out, Ashlyn wasn't really in the mood to bake this morning. This might not have been a bad thing, since she tends to slow things down a bit. She frosted ONE cookie and she was done.

I finished the cookies, cleaned up a bit and was about to put the kids in a bath when I made a startling discovery. Trent had locked, or rather, had barricaded himself in the bathroom! He was just in the kitchen with me two minutes before, how did this happen?

Now, if you are confused as to what I mean by "barricaded", let me draw you a mental picture. Trent had gone into the bathroom, closed the door, and opened a drawer, making it impossible for me to open the door from the outside. Got it?

My first course of action was to try to get Trent to close the drawer. That didn't go over very well. He's 11 1/2 months and doesn't follow directions. But, boy did I try. After a few times of trying calmly, I started getting desperate and began yelling, "TRENT, CLOSE THE DRAWER!" This alerted Ashlyn and she came a runnin'. She began repeating everything I said and did. Yelling only made matters worse, because Trent didn't understand why mommy was getting angry, and he began to cry. Great.

The second course of action was to get a wire hanger, bend it into and "L", wedge it under the door, and try to close the drawer. After trying that a couple times and getting NOWHERE, I called Brian.

Me: Um, Trent is locked in the bathroom.
Brian: So, just pick the lock.
Me: No, you don't understand, he is in the bathroom with the door closed and the drawer open.
Brian: Oh, that's not good. Get a wire hanger and-
Me: I'm already doing that.

After giving me a few pointers, I tell Brian I will try some more and call him back. Poor Trent just doesn't understand why instead of rescuing him, I am shoving wire hangers at him. Then I call Aaron since he now lives 2 minutes away, and tell him that I could really use his help. I explain the situation and he says he will be right over. Aaron gives the hanger-under-the-door method a couple tries and we quickly realize that is not going to work. I call Brian again and tell him to come home.

The third course of action is to try to get into the bathroom through the window. So, we pull the ladder out and Aaron takes apart the window. Trent is crying even harder by now and I am beginging to worry that he has somehow hurt himself. I don't keep any cleaners in the bathroom, so I know he is not ingesting anything harmful, but I am worried that he has hit his head, or poked himself in the eye with a bobby pin, or somehow cut himself.

As soon as Aaron gets the window open and says, "Hey Trent buddy", Trent immediately calms down and stops crying. Aaron thinks the whole thing is pretty humorous and snaps a photo, for posterity.

Notice all the hangers? That was Ashlyn's attempt at helping.

By the time Aaron saves the day and gets through the window, Trent had been in the bathroom for 1 1/2 hours, and had been crying for at least an hour! Poor guy. He quickly recovered once he was held and smothered with hugs and kisses.

Brian arrived just after Trent was rescued. After thanking Aaron for coming to my aid, and giving Trent a few more kisses, he took the cookies and headed back to work.

Here are my unsuccessful tools -

Aaron putting the window back together -

Next on our home improvement list: child locks on the bathroom drawers. Today does not need to be repeated, EVER!

23 comments:

The Lund Five said...

That story made me laugh and cry at the same time. Poor Trent! I love Ashlyn's attempt to help though and I'm glad Aaron was able to help get him out!

Mike and Meg said...

Wow an hour and a half. I feel so sorry for Trent! I am glad everything worked out.

Jamie said...

Oh Jame, that must of been horrible! Glad everything turned out OK.

Heather said...

That is CrAZy! Sooo lucky to have Aaron so close! Poor little Trent!

Zachary said...

Poor Trent! Poor Jamie! How are you holding up?

Way to go Aaron! Saving the day!

Is anyone else flabbergasted that Trent is almost a year old?

rsheedy said...

What an awful story! It made me sad...but I'm glad it worked out okay. Poor little guy, he's such a sweetheart!

Lindsay said...

Oh gosh! Never a dull moment, right? Wow, I would have been a mess! I'm so glad everything turned out okay! After the fact, it's pretty funny but I hope you are recovering okay!

The Simmons Family said...

Poor little guy... he's going to have a bathroom phobia.. good luck potty training!!

Nothing can be worse than needing to help your baby and feeling helpless. I'm glad it all worked out in the end and hopefully Trent got one of those yummy cookies to eat!

Andrea

Johansen Family said...

Sorry Jamie & Brian, but stories like this make me laugh so hard I cry. Probably because I feel like I am trying to open the door for you somehow from my work. YAY for Aaron, what a good guy, what if you didn't have a bathroom window?

Deb Nott said...

I am so proud that you didn't go crazy! I would be a complete mess! You are so brave!

The Wright's said...

I have to laugh - this EXACT same thing has happened to me twice. I would give my advice, but I do what you do - yell a little then pick up the phone. The menfolk are better equipped to handle this kind of trauma than I.

Jeff used a Square leveler the first time - but I could open the door a sliver and it doesn't look like you could.

Kids keep us young, (or wear us out) don't they?

Gretch said...

Been there Sista!! Isn't it a horrible feeling knowing you can't help your child and trying to explain to them that you are trying to do everything to help them but they just don't understand! I'm glad it all worked out!! Be honest though-during the ordeal were you thinking that this was going to be a great post...lol that is what I thought when Charlotte was locked in our room. :-)

Hello! said...

I will gladly give you all my child drawer locks (if I can pry them off). They give me nothing but cuss words because they bug me.

Ashley Rae said...

Oh my gosh- that is so funny yet terrifying at the same time. I'm so glad you got him out! Lucky you have a nice brother living close to you... seriously. I would have peed my pants, though. Haha. Wow. Well, I'm glad you got some cute cookies made.

The Carter Family: said...

Poor Trent! And poor you! We had a similar situation happen once at Esther's house and one of the kids locked themselves in the bedroom, we went to take the doorknob off and the other half broke off on the OTHER side, so we were stuck...somehow we got them out..I just don't remember how!! But, at least he got cookies when he was donE! That makes up for anything!!

Princess said...

It broke my heart when Brian told me this story! Poor little guy! I love that Ashlyn was such a great big sister! Miss you guys so much! Oh and Quinoa is a grain that looks like birdseed. You can find it ususally in the organic section of stores. I buy mine in bulk at Whole Foods.

All About M.E.('s) said...

Poor Trent- I had no idea :(. But, it makes for a great story!

Renee said...

Been there...with my oldest boy! Luckily, I had a neighbor who was a fireman & he came over & opened that door in seconds. Crazy!

Never a dull moment with boys, indeed! :)

Erica said...

Man OH Man! How sad for Trent. Glad you and Aaron got to him safely. Scary for Mom. So cute how Ashlyn tried to help.

JakeLifferth said...

Poor little Aaron. Hey, everyone else is consoling Trent-I mean Aaron just never gave up trying.

Mary said...

Oh my gosh that is so terribly frustrating!!!! For everyone! Poor Trent. Jaimie this is where grey hairs come from. I am so happy this was a happy ending with pictures and everything.

LOVE YOU

Nathan and Esther said...

I'm glad Trent was ok! Poor little buddy!

I, too, am very flabbergasted that Trent is almost a year old!

whitney said...

You poor thing! I'm with Emily-I couldn't help but laugh AND cry for you! Gotta love the two year old definition of "help".