Monday, February 6, 2012

Rounds Two & Three

It's been awhile since I've done an update on my Dad. When people ask me how he's doing, my response is usually, "He's doing good. If you saw him, you wouldn't know he has cancer." And it's true. He really does look good. And he acts like his same, fun-loving, happy, positive self.

October was really a rough month for our family, but then the holidays came and I think that helped us all take our minds off it. Now, as my Mom said the other day in reference to his chemo treatments and side effects, "this is now our new normal." And it's normal to ask him how he is feeling, not just once, but two or three times during a visit. I don't think he's tired of me, yet. Actually, my Dad told me that knowing people are so concerned for him is one of the 'perks' of having cancer. See what I mean about the positive attitude?

So, after the first round of chemo, the secondary insurance that was suppose reimburse $4500 to my parents, did not follow through. After some inquiry, my Mom found out that they were not going to cover the chemo because it wasn't intravenous and therefore wasn't really considered to be true chemotherapy. Such crap.

Luckily, after a letter and an appeal to the manufacturer of the drug, my Dad was able to get a price reduction on the pricey chemo pills. They first told my parents that they made too much money to qualify for a price reduction. Really? Who can afford $4500 every six weeks? Fortunately, after my Dad sent in an appeal, they quickly changed their minds and my Dad now has a co-pay card that covers the remaining portion of chemo that the primary insurance doesn't cover.

Because of all that hassle, my Dad had to start his second round of chemo a week later than planned. And then, because of some heightened side effects, he stopped the treatment about a week early. The dosage was adjusted for round three to hopefully ease some of the side effects. He took a pill for three days and then had the fourth day off, and he repeated that schedule for the four week period. Round three ended Friday night and now we are anxiously awaiting his upcoming scan. The scan is a week from today and then he will meet with his doctor on the 21st to discuss the results. Prayers are much needed right now. We are all hoping for positive news - that the chemo treatments are working to shrink the cancer, or at the very least, that the growth has stopped.

So please, keep him in your prayers.


4 comments:

Jamie said...

Thanks for the update! He is for sure in our prayers.

All About M.E.('s) said...

An update about Dad has been on my blog-do list, but I haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for posting one! :)

The Wright's said...

I never miss a prayer or a fast Sunday in his behalf. I still get emotional thinking about this. I want it to just go away, and I am just a niece, so I can't imagine what you are all going through. He's an AMAZING, inspiring man. And we love him a lot.

Gretch said...

Thanks Jamie for the update. We pray everyday for Uncle Bob! He is on the prayer roll too at he Phoenix Temple. Let us know how the meeting on the 21st goes. Sending our love to all of you!!