Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Bone Scan & The Golden Pills

The bone scan that my Dad had last Thursday came back clear. Yay! We all breathed a big sigh of relief yesterday knowing that the cancer had not spread any further. My Dad said he felt like doing a cartwheel when he got the news. I've never seen my Dad do a cartwheel before, but I'd like to!

Last week was really rough, but I think we are all feeling better so far this week. Both my Mom and Dad seemed in much higher spirits last night as we attending my Grandma Lifferth's 91st birthday celebration. Our family has been blessed with an amazing support system of family and friends. There have been so many kind words and deeds offered to my parents in the last eight days, and I know that it has helped them cope. My parents also both received priesthood blessings on Sunday, given by the former stake president and second counselor that my Dad served with for 10 years. I am so grateful for the power of the priesthood. The blessings were a great comfort to my parents.

The good news from the bone scan was damped a little by the fact that my Dad started his chemo treatments. I guess it just makes it all seem more real, and I have had a hard time accepting the reality of the situation. My Dad got his prescription filled yesterday and took his first pill last night before going to bed. He said that as he laid in bed he could feel some effects of the drug. He said parts of his body felt different and he got slightly nauseous at one point. He also said that for a brief time there was a funny taste in his mouth. But, overall he said he felt fine, slept good, and feels great today. I hope that continues, but worry that the side effects will increase. I don't want to see him suffer.

Also, the pills are made from gold!...well, at least they should be. The medication is called Sutent and it is ridiculously and absurdly overpriced. A 28 day supply cost $18,000! If you do the math, it works out to $642.86 per pill. Insane! I told my Dad that it's like he's swallowing gold every day. But, I don't think even gold is worth that much. My Mom joked that they needed to keep the pills in a safe.

Luckily my Dad is dually insured. Primary insurance is covering all but $4500, and then secondary insurance should cover the rest. The only problem is that my parents have to pay the $4500 each time they get the prescription filled and then insurance will/should reimburse them within 4-6 weeks. I am just hoping that my parents don't have to fight with the insurance company each month to get the reimbursement. But, what would my Dad do if they didn't have dual coverage? What about other people who don't have dual coverage? I hate to even think about my Dad having to forgo treatment because they couldn't afford it.

Again, thank you for your thoughts, prayers, and kindness.

4 comments:

rsheedy said...

I am so relieved by the news about the bone scan. I'm also in shock about the fact that your dad has to undergo chemotherapy. I hope he has minimal side effects, and I'm praying for the best outcome possible. I think so highly of your dad, and your entire family. You are all such incredible, amazing people. Thank goodness for the gospel!

Amber said...

You will be in our thoughts and prayers Jamie!

whitney said...

Oh, that's such a relief about the bone scan. Oh, Jamie...I'm so, so sorry for the whole big scary mess. Your family and your sweet, amazing father have definitely been in our thoughts and prayers the last couple of weeks.

Heather said...

Hugs to you. So sorry to hear about your grandma Lifferth's passing. What a crazy time for your family. xox