Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Movie Set

I recently met a lady who had moved to Utah from California four years ago. I am always curious to know why people move to Utah and so I asked. She immediately responded with, "I love the four seasons! Oh, and the mountains! Every day when I go outside I feel like I'm on a movie set."

I too love the mountains. And I have always loved living in Utah. I have no desire to live anywhere else. But, having lived here my entire life, I feel like I take the "movie set" for granted. Not everyone gets to be surrounded by such beauty, and I just do not go up enough. Whenever I do go to the mountains, I feel more at peace, more relaxed, more...I don't know, complete? A trip to the mountains is definitely good for the soul.

So, in between the morning and afternoon conference sessions on Saturday, we took the family up to Sundance and rode the tram. It was beautiful. We were even lucky enough to see a hawk flying overhead. The mom in me was a little nervous about the lack of seat belts, but the kids did great. They both just sat and admired the scenery. The height actually made Ashlyn a little nervous. She kept saying, "I'm not sure about this high."

On the way back down the canyon, we stopped at Bridal Veil Falls so Ashlyn and Trent could pick some leaves. It was such a perfect afternoon that Brian and I decided to make it a yearly family tradition.


9 comments:

Monica Lifferth said...

Great pictures Jame! What a fun little outing with the fam. I too love the fall and all the colors. I wish it would last a little longer though!

Erica said...

What beautiful fall colors. I need to go for a drive in the mountains. Great pictures, and what a fun tradition you guys have started. I wish we had more things like that here.

Gretch said...

Utah mountains are a BEAUTIFUL sight! Every time I see them I feel at home. Love love the pictures and what a great new family tradition!

Amy said...

Soo pretty! I can smell the crisp air. Oh, I miss fall. I can't believe that Trent is looking like a little boy more and more..so cute!

Ashley Rae said...

So I thought to myself "Hm... Jamie hasn't updated her 'Smiley updates' for a while- I wonder if she's still alive." So then I come to your blog, and- lo and behold- here are tons of updates that I have completely missed. LOL. I have a lot of catching up to do. Haha

Our family also goes to Sundance every fall to see the leaves. Aren't they amazing there?? We always stop to get a sucker at the shop there, as well. Mmmm. You need to include that in your tradition :)

Johansen Family said...

Looks like a ton of fun! I love the mountains and it is too sad that we do not spend more time up there. You will have to let me know how the canning turns out.

Heather said...

Awesome pics James! Love that tradition. You always have the best traditions, hope you dont mind if I borrow them all! :)

Hello! said...

Great pics!!

Princess said...

I love these! Such a great tradition! I so miss the fall leaves!