Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Crazy Busy

It's that time of year again. I am officially in my "crazy busy" phase of the holidays. I have a list of projects and activities that absolutely must happen before midnight Christmas Eve. That is less than 10 days from today - eight days to be exact!!! The holidays just wouldn't be the holidays if there wasn't so much to do. And somehow - even though it seems impossible right now - it will all get done, because it always does...somehow.

I wish I had more time to blog these days, because there has been a lot to blog about. I am going to try to briefly write about a few of the happenings in the Smiley world. Here it goes -

Thanks to Aaron, Brian and I were able to go to Body Worlds free of charge! It was awesome!!! I can't say enough about it. I would HIGHLY recommend going, you won't be disappointed. It is totally and completely worth the $22 - yes we would have paid if we hadn't been lucky enough to score free tickets. Go. Seriously, go.

The Utes STOMPED BYU with a 48-24 win!! WOOHOO! Great game. Great party.

Thanksgiving is hands down my #1 favorite day of the entire year. Why do I love this holiday so much you ask? Well, because it is a simple holiday. It is not commercialized like so many other holidays. You don't have to go to a bunch of Thanksgiving parties. You don't have to spend a lot of $. You don't have to buy costumes. You don't have to run around all day to different events. It is all about spending time with your family, eating good food, and counting your blessings. Plus, it smells fantastic! It was a great day and I have so much to be grateful for. I am truly blessed. Life is good. No, life is wonderful.

I finally went to see Twilight with my sister-in-law Stacey. We may have been the last Twilight fans to see the movie;) Thanks to all the negative reviews that I had heard/read before hand, I had very low expectations. Low expectations are great because you are never disappointed. Turns out, I loved it! The only negative thing I have to say - Edward. He's growing on me, but still. With all the "Edward" talk, the other characters have been overlooked. There were some pretty great picks, like Jacob - perfect! They nailed him. Mike Newton was a good pick too.

Karl & Paula hosted another great annual Lifferth family Christmas party. I love my family. The only problem with having such a large family is that I never get to visit with everyone - there are just too many bodies. But, I wouldn't have it any other way. Santa made a surprise visit - Ashlyn and Trent were not amused. Maybe next year.

We went to the Festival of Trees. It was crazy and crowded, but it was fun. My favorite part? The glass blown tree - beautiful.

I finished my first semester of school!! One down...many more to go. But the first step is always the hardest, and now that I have jumped in, I know that I can and WILL finish this time. I haven't ever before been as excited and dedicated to my schooling as I am at this point in my life - it makes me happy.

Brian and I decided that every year at Christmastime, we will take our kids to the movies and go all out with popcorn, drinks, candy, the works. So, we took Ashlyn (Trent opted out) to see Madagascar 2. We had the entire theatre to ourselves. Cute flick. Ashlyn had a great time. Mission accomplished.

We had our annual No-Kids-Allowed party with my parents and siblings. It was so incredibly quiet. So quiet in fact that Brian took the liberty of pounding on the piano keys to remind us how noisy it usually is with nine kids running around. We very much enjoyed the peaceful dinner and uninterupted games. It was great.

Brian and I also decided to take our little family out to dinner every year at Christmastime. This year we decided to go to the Mayan, which turned out to be a perfect choice. Ashlyn was enthraled with the atmosphere, she got a kick out of the divers, and she actually ate 3/4 of her dinner. Success! If you haven't been to the Mayan in awhile, they have changed the menu and show - both are an improvement.

And last but not least, we filled up our car last night. It was completely empty. I never imagined I'd see these numbers again. The picture speaks for itself -

Happy Holidays everyone!!

11 comments:

Mike and Meg said...

You have been busy! I think those are great traditions for your family to enjoy each year. I love the gas prices too. They have been lower in AZ, but just recently Utah has been better. Cute Christmas card!

Princess said...

You ALWAYS do too much at the holidays, but it is always worth it! Can't wait to see you next week! I love the traditions that you are starting with the kids, so great!

Hello! said...

Can I get an AMEN! to the last comment. AMEN.

The Carter Family: said...

Those were some fun updates to read! You guys have a lot of great traditions, both w/ your extended family and your own family...I will have to keep some of your ideas in mind (i.e. movies, dinner, etc.!) Good luck on finishing all of your stuff-I know you can do it!

Jamie said...

Great post, Jame! Thanks 4 the update.
-I miss our crazy Christmas makings from a couple years ago. I could really use your motivation!!!
-What is Body World?
-No comment on UofU/BYU game!
-Glad you loved Twilight - Edward does have to grow on you!
-I ♥ The Festival of the Trees, so wish I was there!
-Congrats on your 1st semester of school down - hands down, you rock!
-Love, love, love all your fams Christmas traditions. Family is great!!!
-GAS . . . finally!
PS - got your Christmas card - cute pic!

Johansen Family said...

Updates are always great. I cannot believe how much you have on your plate and you don't even seem freaked out about it. That is seriously what amazes me. I am like a chicken with its head cut off and I am on edge with the family because of it. Can you teach me those skills? It was fun to see you guys last night!

The Simmons Family said...

You have been busy... geez. I'm sure that you will get everything done by the EVE of Christmas and it will be PERFECT!! We got your christmas card and it made me smile!

I miss the festival of trees..that was one of my favorite traditions living in Utah.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Andrea

The Wright's said...

Amen sister. Please post all of your Christmas gifts you make this year - I love to see them!

Mary said...

Jaimers Ilove that you love school! There is a right time and place for everything. Sounds like you are balancing well. I miss you guys so much. Give everyone my love and hugs all around.

whitney said...

Love all the traditions, especially the movie one. What a great idea! Congrats on finishing your first semester-I'm sure ou did fabulous. Don't worry, I haven't seen Twilight either and I'm a HUGE fan. sigh.

ps-I'd love to be invited when you go private. I'm at whitney.lifferth at gmail.com.

Ashley Rae said...

So... how many days left, now? Yeah. I still have most of my Christmas shopping left to do. But it's expected. I am with you on Thanksgiving- I'm so sick of all these commercialized holidays. It's getting ridiculous.

And gas? Woot woot!

Merry Christmas :)