Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Better Late Than Never?

The night is still young for me. It is only 10:20, but I really should be in bed. Why? Because I have a math class at 7:00 am. That's right, I am going back to school! And for the past two weeks I have had Adam Sandler in my head singing, "Oh, back to school, back to school, to prove to dad that I am not a fool!" (That might not be the exact wording, but that's how it goes in my head.)

I am a mix of emotions right now: apprehensive, excited, proud, and a little scared. I wish I had been one of those people who knows exactly what they want to do right out of high school, goes to college for the allotted four years, and then begins their career. But alas, here I am, having graduated 11 years ago, and once again beginning a college journey - for the third time!

To make matters worse, I have to decided to go into a field that I had originally began my schooling for 11 years ago. Oh brother! I guess I did know what I wanted to do right out of high school, I just stunk at the follow through. And I am kicking myself because it really would have been easier when I was single and childless. But, I know that life is just going to continue to get more complicated and I can either put this off for another 11 years and continue kicking myself, or I can take a deep breath and jump in.

I hope the water isn't too cold.

17 comments:

All About M.E.('s) said...

I am proud of you. It's a hard thing to do, deciding to go back, but it will be worth it. You'll do great!

aaronlifferth said...

Funny post. I am excited for you, and I think you will do great. Remember thirties are the new twenties...which makes you only 19.

rsheedy said...

Way to go! You rock at everything you do, so you'll do great. What are you giong into, anyway?

Zachary said...

You go girl!! We are all proud of you! Maybe it will push some of us (me) to finally finish what we started.

Good Luck!!

The Lund Five said...

Good Luck! I am proud of you also. I hope that someday I am able to go back to school also.

Jamie said...

YOU = AMAZING
I love Aaron's comment about the thirties being the new twenties . . . brilliant. You will do great. Thanks for being such an amazing example. Good Luck!!!

The Simmons Family said...

Jamie... I"m right with you girl. I just decided to go back for the 3rd time! What field are you going in to? I can't decide to do ICU nursing, Physical Therapy or Speech therapy.. just know that I want to work with kids.

Good luck and let me know how it's going. Know that you're not the only one that took 11 years to figure it all out!!

Andrea

Austin and Maren said...

Jamie you will do great! You are super smart. That is awesome that you are starting school again. Hopefully the semesters will fly by as fast as they did for me. I actually miss it...I think i'm crazy! If you need a babysitter (not that you don't have a lot of options already) feel free to give me a call. I'm sure I owe ya a few favors! : )

Princess said...

I think you will do just great! Your very smart and I am pretty sure you accomplish everything you set out to do! Good Luck and I am thinking of you!

J said...

That is great! I hope you enjoy it. Yes, what is it that you're going into? Good luck!

Crazy Lifferths said...

Way to go! Good luck. I am ready to slow down, but we are vacation right now again! It is fun though!

Mike and Meg said...

You will do great! You wont regret it!

Melissa said...

Best of luck, kiddo. I think this is just fabulous. Knock 'em dead.

The Wright's said...

WOW Girl! I am so very, very impressed with you. I didn't about this new challenge - but you will do great. I would love to help, what do you need??

ROSENFAM said...

Good luck with everything!! You're braver than I am...I've thought a couple times about going back, but it's stopped short at just the thought..What are you going into?

Ashley Rae said...

Adam Sandler is my hero. Not really, but I love that song and I don't know how many times it has related to my life- but many. Good for you for going back to school!! That is awesome. You'll do great. What field are you going into? I have some friends trying to talk me into going to law school... but I'm not too sure I want to be that stressed out. Haha.

whitney said...

Way to go! That's so exciting (yet scary) that you're going back. Every semester I plan on starting up again, but it seems like I'm always either pregnant, just had a baby, or due in the middle of the semester :P

As for the Adam Sandler quote, I've had that in my head all month-every friggin' time I read a back to school sign, so welcome to the club-lol!