Thursday, July 17, 2008

How Did They Do It?

I'll admit it, I am spoiled. But so are you. You do not fully appreciate your health until after you have been sick. You do not fully appreciate the modern miracle of an epidural until you are in labor. You do not fully appreciate the comfort of your own bed until after you have been away. You do not fully appreciate electricity until after the power has been out. And you do not fully appreciate running water until after your kitchen faucet breaks.

I have become very aware of how much I take running water for granted since Sunday when my kitchen faucet broke. A new faucet would likely cost us around $150. Luckily, it is under warranty. Unluckily, we are waiting for the parts.

We have had to resort to using our bathroom sink for many of our 'kitchen' needs. We have also pulled the hose inside a few times to fill the kitchen sink with water in order to rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher - exactly, I am spoiled. I have a dishwasher, so why am I complaining?

Because of these 'inconveniences', I have hardly cooked at all this week. I mean, I do still have running water in the house, but I have to go clear to the bathroom! The only meal I have made was on Tuesday night, and I only cooked because I was taking dinner to a friend who's son just had surgery.

My parents are on a pioneer trek this week in Martin's Cove. I tried to call them on their cell phones (yet another taken-for-granted modern day convenience) to make sure they were okay - both of their phones were turned off. Boy, are they roughing it! Prior to leaving on their trek, my mom and dad did a lot of research about the Martin Handcart Company and they shared many accounts with me. I could go on and on about how much the pioneers endured, their stories are amazing.

The fact that I am so paralyzed without my kitchen faucet, and the fact that my parents are on a pioneer trek right now, has left me to realize just how spoiled I am. It has also made me wonder just exactly how the pioneers did it? How did they sell ALL their possessions? How did they walk over 1000 miles to reach the Salt Lake valley? How did they keep going with out any rest stops in sight - just miles and miles of open plains in every direction? How did they cope with all the bugs, spiders, mosquitos, snakes, etc.? How did they survive on just 4 oz. flour per day? How did they watch loved ones die, bury them, and then keep on going? How did they handle -10 degree temperatures without even a tent for shelter? How did they stop for one day to give birth and then begin walking again the next? How did they not loose their faith?

How did they do it all without a kitchen faucet? Man, I'm spoiled.

11 comments:

Deb Nott said...

You know I feel the same way some times. We are so spoiled, so luck and so blessed! The fact that our big worry is to figure out how to live comfortably during school, when most people in the world can't even get food on the table, or are running for their lives, or... yeah we are spoiled. I remember Spiderman... "With great power comes great responsibility!"

Heather said...

Girl, very thought provoking....

All About M.E.('s) said...

Amen! Very good post. It is true-we are spoiled. How on earth can a woman give birth and start walking the next? Ouch!
And, yes, I think that we have many many modern conveniences that we take for granted. Can you imagine hand washing all of your clothes, walking everywhere, or heaven forbid-having to milk your cow for milk? Yikes.
However, I would bet that we face some challenges that those pioneers wouldn't want to touch!

Mike and Meg said...

Are you glad there is a thing called fast food. We do take all of these things for granted! It makes you know how lucky you really are!

Monica Lifferth said...

Thanks for the reminder Jame. We need this wake up call more often. Sorry about the kitchen sink.

Princess said...

Great post! It is funny how some things make you stop and think about how much you have. I try to remember that when I am feeling whiny or wondering why I don't have something. I had my sink go out once and I did NOT have a dishwasher. Sounds disgusting but I actually had to wash my dishes IN THE TUB for a couple of days! Miss you!

Mary said...

It is true how quickly we forget the pleasures we have. I love when the electricity goes out for a few hours and we have to "rough it".

The pioneers worked, worked, worked and then died at a very young age.

Hopefully we have a better balance in life now.

The Simmons Family said...

So sorry to hear about the faucet...that stinks :(. Our toilet broke once and I remember how aweful it was to share one toilet... how spoiled is that??

I think the pioneers are looking down on us now and counting their blessings that they didn't live in our day and age!!

Andrea

Ashley Rae said...

Seriously- I think about this same thing, occasionally. 10 years ago, only the really lucky people had nice cell phones. 20 years ago, no one I knew had cell phones, and only a few rich people in the neighborhood had car phones... and there is so much that we take for granted. It's so humbling to have to go without something for a while- or to see other people have to go without it. Thanks for this post.

whitney said...

So true! They were so strong-I can't even imagine it. Even so, it still sucks that you're sink is broken. We don't have a dishwasher (unless my husband counts;), so things would be not fun at all!

The Carter Family: said...

It is amazing all that we take for granted!! Your post was a good reminder to make us realize we need to stop and count our blessings, especially at this time of year when we are celebrating our pioneer heritage!! One thing I am MOST grateful for is my air conditioning-I don't think I could live without it!! (Oh, AND the kitchen sink-sorry about that!)